brainpoo2002

Winter Wear?

I love a good compression long sleeve shirt and thermals. I also have a polar fleece vest with a high knit turtleneck. That and a layer or two more usually suffice. Think wool, windproof, and turtle necks.

Gloves are important. From light baseball gloves to full on downhill ski gloves, I've jumped the whole range. Some of the best winter gloves I've found have been cross country ski gloves, insulated but thinner than regular ski gloves.

Full face helmets are great for blocking the cold wind. Fogging can sometimes be a problem though. The helmets with flip up visors are easier to deal with in that regard.

I have an extra-light (and extra non-bulky) bicycle windbreaker. It fits under any jumpsuit. Any. Over whatever is appropriate.

I also have a combination hat/neck warmer that makes a huge difference.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Layers. Generally, T-shirt, base thermal, long sleeve T-shirt, sweatshirt. Longies and jeans. Warm socks.
A jumpsuit big enough to fit over those layers.

Neck gaiter or balaclava**

Gloves that give good dexterity and feel. Airtwardo always said he made sure he could tie his shoes with the gloves on. I think that's a good metric.
One technique is to put latex gloves ("doctor gloves") under the regular gloves. This blocks the wind nicely and keeps your hands a lot warmer. However, your hands can sweat under them on the ride up, which defeats the purpose.

One thing to remember is that you really won't be in the cold all that long. And I rarely feel it in freefall.

Door opens: "Holy CRAP!!! That's cold!!". Green light: So focused on the jump that I forget the cold. Freefall: Still focused. After opening: "Holy CRAP!! That's cold!!!". Land, go inside pack and warm up.

** I jump with an open face, so the neck gaiter or balaclava (I have both) keeps my face and neck warm. One measure of "how cold is it up there?" is how high I pull it up over my face:

Not that cold: around my neck.
Sorta cold: Up over my chin, but not over my mouth.
Cold: Up over my mouth and nose, to the bottom of my goggles.

I generally pull it down after landing, but have been known to answer the "how cold" question by pulling it up to the appropriate position and saying "this cold". It's usually an answer that is understood.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wmw999

I also have a combination hat/neck warmer that makes a huge difference.

Vskydiver makes some one piece shoulder-to-head baklava kind of things. Holds the hair in place and good for the cold.

She once made a winter jumpsuit lined with fleece, top to bottom. She jumped it one winter's day, in the snow, wearing just underwear underneath.:o Said it kept her toasty warm. :)

Vskydiver makes some one piece shoulder-to-head baklava kind of things. Holds the hair in place and good for the cold.
--------------------------------------------------

Silly me!
All this time I have been eating baklavas sold at my neighbourhood Greek restaurant.
Hah!
Hah!

Please caution VKskydiver that if she wears a headscarf or face scarf, she will be banned from riding public buses in Quebec.
Hah!
Hah!

I prefer zippered turtlenecks that allow me to minimize sweat while hustling to the airplane. As we near exit altitude, I zip turtlenecks all the way up.
I also use my chin strap to secure fleece neck warmers. The strap secures the fleece high enough to keep my face warm, but low enough to full vision.

What can you fit under your jumpsuit?

I can’t fit jeans under mine. It’s too tight for much more than a layer of long underwear and maybe a thin wind shirt. Very thin.
And don’t try anything with a collar that will beat your neck raw if it gets loose.

Jon

wolfriverjoe

Layers. Generally, T-shirt, base thermal, long sleeve T-shirt, sweatshirt. Longies and jeans. Warm socks.
A jumpsuit big enough to fit over those layers.

Neck gaiter or balaclava**

Gloves that give good dexterity and feel. Airtwardo always said he made sure he could tie his shoes with the gloves on. I think that's a good metric.
One technique is to put latex gloves ("doctor gloves") under the regular gloves. This blocks the wind nicely and keeps your hands a lot warmer. However, your hands can sweat under them on the ride up, which defeats the purpose.

One thing to remember is that you really won't be in the cold all that long. And I rarely feel it in freefall.

Door opens: "Holy CRAP!!! That's cold!!". Green light: So focused on the jump that I forget the cold. Freefall: Still focused. After opening: "Holy CRAP!! That's cold!!!". Land, go inside pack and warm up.

** I jump with an open face, so the neck gaiter or balaclava (I have both) keeps my face and neck warm. One measure of "how cold is it up there?" is how high I pull it up over my face:

Not that cold: around my neck.
Sorta cold: Up over my chin, but not over my mouth.
Cold: Up over my mouth and nose, to the bottom of my goggles.

I generally pull it down after landing, but have been known to answer the "how cold" question by pulling it up to the appropriate position and saying "this cold". It's usually an answer that is understood.

NECK GAITER FO SHO. kEEP THE NECK AND WRISTS WARM AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW. I like my leather motorcycle gloves for dexterity... Dressing in light layers is crucial as well. I ride my motorbike all year here in PA with no problems. The only issue I had was keeping my hands warm even with heated grips. Mittens are are the key. Not recommended for jumping!

Rule of thumb for gloves: if you can operate a zipper with the gloves on, they provide enough dexterity for jumping.

Do try to get something with some grip on the surface. Smooth nylon as the outer layer isn't good for securely grabbing a hackey or a handle. I use working gloves as the outer layer (with silk undergloves underneath that for warmth), which work wonders.

If I have to wear surgeons gloves, I wear them over my gloves. No sweat to get cold. I put them on late. Not as much grip as leather, but not awful, andnits WAY warmer.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have some hard hat liners left over from my line crew days. They're butt ugly but do a great job. As for your hands I'd advise not putting your gloves on until jump run. Until then leave the gloves off and close and open your hands a lot for circulation. You don't want them to get sweaty in the relative warmth of the plane. Canopy time is worst since your hands are up, impeding blood flow and the wind is blowing through your fingers. If you can do so safely (small loads) get your canopy flying the direction you want then hold your hands behind your back. Now the blood flows better and they're out of the wind. Bring them out to adjust whenever necessary.
When it's seriously cold out but I just have to jump I always end up making two jumps. The first one really hurts, but afterwards I figure that now I'm acclimated. But then the second jump hurts just as much so I go home and get into a tub of very hot water and listen to my bones crackle as they shift back into place.