skyfox2007

DZ Culture

Nice line. I've heard many an instructor or seasoned jumper use that on a newbie to excuse their own BS and he or she walked out of the DZ and out of the sport. And we wonder why our turnover rates are so high?

No pun intended as I too am turning a bit gray, but brother, it isn't 1981 any more. I wish it was...the music back then was just awesome. :D Can't find a tune worth a damn on the radio anymore. Taylor Swift just isn't cutting it, you know?

Who couldn't use thicker skin? Life's more fun when you can land a few proverbial jabs on people.

But there's a fine line between taking a jab and then allowing the DZ alphas to look down their nose at you for long enough to make them feel secure about themselves before they'll accept you. And we wonder why - as others have asked here - we have such high turnover rates in our sport.

I must - however - give you credit about your reply on Mile-Hi. It's been a few years since I've visited the place and things do change. "No Pro Sessions" back then would have kept me around.

decompresion

When there is an asshole in the room: they are an asshole.
If everyone is an asshole in the room: you are the asshole

Come to Orange,VA. I jump with newbs and assholes.

So.. you do a lot of solos? B|:D
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

The coolest kids to be around are the ones who never thought of themselves as the cool kids... after 20 or more years and thousands after thousands of jumps, the best folks in this sport don't give a crap what anyone thinks of them, who they will jump with, or when they'll be invited to whatever event.

Also: come do some CRW. Absolutely the most inviting and generous jumpers are the CReW Dawgs. Also: crew is really fucking hard so we're all beginners for a really long time, and any mistake you make we feel your pain because we've been there. :)

I'm enjoying the snarky replies (that's the best thing about dz.com), but aside from the yuks...

No, not all DZ's are filled with experiences like yours. I am an LO at Spaceland Houston and we are very inclusive. There are plenty of other DZ's that are as well, so I suggest you shop around.

One thing you might consider is looking inward. There are sometimes jumpers that are shunned for a variety of reasons - the two biggest ones being safety concerns and asshole concerns. I'm not saying that you fit into either category but you might find someone you can confide in and ask what others at the DZ think of you.

Sometimes a small attitude adjustment goes a long way in this sport.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

decompresion

When there is an asshole in the room: they are an asshole.
If everyone is an asshole in the room: you are the asshole

Come to Orange,VA. I jump with newbs and assholes.

What about asshole newbs?

I guess I am spoiled jumping at Orange, I did not realize it was supposed to be difficult getting on a load. I just manifest and jump. If there are others who want to jump in a group at my skill level, I do that. If not, I jump solo. Although I guess at my level there is plenty for me to work on by myself (both in free fall and under canopy) so that makes it easier.

skyfox2007

We're all keeping a journal...it's called a logbook.

I'm pretty sure none of our logbooks include details of the personalities on the DZ or their racks. Mine's just about the jumps I did.

With 120 and a B, definitely start grabbing other people and jumping with them. If you don't have the Rhythm 101 app on your phone, get it - it's got a lot of great and simple 2 and 3-way dives on it. Grab people and go.

skyfox1970 your attitude is what is causing you grief not the others. Listening to your replies i notice you have a very pour attitude and think people owe you all their attention. 120 jumps in 12 years and your pour attitude is your problem. Show up at dz,s on a regular basis and loose the pour attitude and life will get better. Until your attitude changes you Will never be accepted. Think hard before you reply to my negative comments that would be a start.

For real. If you're not a likable person, then no one is going to like you. Know your limits. If you're good enough to go on a 2-3 way with other low time jumpers, then just do that. If you want to be better than that, frankly you need to get yourself in a tunnel, and spend that sweet sweet cash. I'd bet that most of the newer jumpers that you see flying on organized loads are people who you do not really know, and who also fly 10-20 minutes in a tunnel weekly. That's how you advance in this sport now, if "advancing" is something you're interested in doing. If you just want to be in the sky and have a good time, then do it. Also, ffs, don't let there be another moment in your life when you're complaining about a nice rack to look at. Let her motives be her own, and you just do you buddy.

Was here one Day. Got him re qualified. His lovely wife made a tandem. All was good. Then read his review for Skydive Greene County. :) Not that bad of a review but was written by someone who reacted but never ask or tried to become knowledgeable about our operation
UM, Experienced jumpers were off to Idaho base jumping :) Door was off the turbine beech being replaced that day-
Never asked questions about anything. Very nice Couple.
Then he is off to another DZ..

Lawndarter

If you're female, don't be her

Wait, what?

As far as I can tell, she hasn't done anything wrong. She's wearing a low-cut top, so what? That's her choice, and if she's got a great rack and wants to show it off, what's it to us?

It may have the effect of getting her on jumps we aren't on, but again, what is that to us? She's almost certainly not doing it in a calculating way, and even if she is... none of my business mate.

Repeat after me: we are not the girl police.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?