Tamas11

HI GUYS NEED AN OPINION !

Hi my name is Tamas and just started my AFF course. I had my tandem jump yesterday and next week should be L1 and L2.
This was my first tandem skydive so I was aware that it's going to be intense.I did not had a problem with the looking down or getting in the door sensation but I did notice something.

When I jumped out in the first 4-5 seconds I felt like a huge pressure in my had. Like everything was going up there.The intensity of the feeling was quite high.

Is this normal or anybody had it or its just on the first jumps till my body accommodate with.
What I could possibly do to get trough more easier on the first 5 seconds.?

Thanks a lot in advance

I am guessing you mean, "pressure in your head". I can't imagine what you are experiencing.

What type of plane did you exit from? If you exited from the inside, it might just be the blast of wind that you experienced.

Some AFF jump exit from outside the aircraft or partly outside (head and shoulder). Some exit from inside the aircraft. If you are exposed to the outside for several seconds before you actually exit, you might not experience this feeling. If you exit and catch the air blast at the same time, you will most likely have a similar experience. (Just guessing)

It is also possible that your exit, caused you to be head into the relative wind. If that happened, you might feel some negative Gs for a few seconds like you were hanging from your feet. Not very likely, but possible.

As the new wears off, stuff like that will not be noticed.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Did you have a stuffy nose or history of sinus issues? It sounds like you had trouble equalizing pressure during the first few seconds of your skydive.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

it seems you had exactly what I felt for my 1st tandem. Adrenaline "overdose", sensory overload.... Dissapeared for the 2nd one. Still looking for that effect, 15 years and 2000 jumps later. Never came close to it.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I am not a doctor so keep in mind that I have NO medical training and my opinion is worth what I am being paid for it, which is nothing.

If it cleared up after 4-5 seconds and you didn't have any issues after that, then I would think that you did something to equalize the pressure. Maybe you held your breath for the first few seconds or swallowed after the first few seconds. Pay attention to how it feels on the ride to altitude. If you feel the pressure building and you can't equalize, tell your instructor. It might be best not to jump that day if that is the case.

Before your next jump, talk to your instructor about this. If it happens on more jumps it might be a good idea to talk to your doctor.

Again, I have no medical experience at all so if someone who does sees that I am off base at all, please correct me.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I had a bit of the same for my first jumps. Actually for all my AFF jumps.;)
The first seconds after exiting the plane overwelmed me. The wind hitting you, the speed of falling like a drop from a rollercoaster.
It was over after a few seconds, I guess when I reached my terminal velocity and you don't feel the acceleration any more.
But maybe it's not the same as what you mean.

Now I really enjoy that feeling. Feeling that force that pulls me down right after the exit. Best moment of the jump.:P

Tamas11

Hi thanks for your replay...after the first 4 seconds everything was perfect. But in the first seconds I felt a little bit weird.Its like when you riding in the plane and the plane by the sudden looses altitude.

Assume the plane is flying with an airspeed of 100 MPH. Assume your terminal speed falling is 120 MPH.

On exit, you start slowing your forward speed and start gaining vertical speed. This is all normal. If you fly it well (present into the relative wind) then you hardly notice any feeling of "dropping". The reason is that the 100 MPH is pretty close to your terminal speed (where you will feel 1G).

However if you don't present well into the 100 MPH relative wind, you don't feel that near 1G from the forward drag and tend to notice the feeling of falling a bit more. So pay close attention to your instruction about "presenting into the relative wind". This must be learned.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

So true.
If you do a good exit and present yourself direct to the relative wind (aim yourself towards the prop) you don't have the overwhelming feeling of flying all over the place.
When I do my solo jumps I present myself to the relative wind and when I jump out I keep looking at the plane. If you do that correctly you have the slide effect (hmm, difficult to explain properly in another language :)Got this tip from an instructor and worked well for me.
I'm now stable in 500 - 600ft after exit, so nice. Lots of time to do the fun stuff then. Practicing on this exit because I have to do a hop and pop soon.