megamalfunction

Classified Scammers

I've been checking out gear in the classifieds, and I keep coming across sellers with old accounts with 0 forum posts. Are these people all scammers? Who registers an account with dropzone.com 6 years ago, never makes one post, and then decides to head back to dropzone.com six years later to sell some gear? Any tips on avoiding scammers, and how to find real sellers in the classifieds would be appreciated! Any tips on how to actual go about purchasing equipment would be appreciated as well.

I don't think they're scammers. In fact, I believe that's the silent majority of dropzone.com users.

Just because they don't post on these forums, doesn't mean they don't go on here. The vast majority of people I know who are registered on here don't post. In my experience, most people use this site to browse classifieds and read about incidents (not necessarily in that order). You need an account to do both of those.

This site and the "Skydiving Gear For Sale and Wanted" Facebook group are my two go-to places for used gear. I'd say the FB group is #1, and this is a fairly distant second at this point. Check out the group if you haven't already.

I know lot's of people who come here for information and never post. It's common. It's less common for them to become classified sellers though. But if you think about it it makes sense. This sport has lots of people who drop out after a few years. Many of them just leave their gear in the closet. But it makes more sense to sell it.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I recently bought some gear. I much prefer dz.com; it puts more onus on the seller, as happens in most retail situation. It's more organized, and you can navigate and search with a phone.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Any tips on avoiding scammers, and how to find real sellers in the classifieds would be appreciated! Any tips on how to actual go about purchasing equipment would be appreciated as well.

Nearly all sellers here are legit. Although many may not really know what they are doing. And sometimes not much about gear. The frequent sellers are easy, they can all give references. For the one time sellers that you can't be sure of, just be sure to use PayPal. They will take care of you if you are ripped off.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.