Eagle7222

Return to sport?

If you're on FB, check this group out. 'Skydiver Resurrection Award'.
It's got shit-tons of people who've been out as long or longer than you and came back.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143983362383114/
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Too many to count have come back. Personally I left for 30 yrs and started back and loving it at 61 yrs old. I have always loved jumping and had over 1,300 jumps when I quit. Life, work, 2 kids, a disapproving wife, all added up to quiting in the 80's.

I had a super hard time because I severely injured my shoulder in a motorcycle accident and several of the shoulder muscles were paralyzed for 8 yrs. Until 2016.

A year ago, I was blessed with some nerve regeneration but very limited use. I wanted to go skydiving!!!!

Since I was already experienced, my instructors agreed to give it a try even though I am pretty disabled.

My recurrency progression:
1. I did a tandem and could control my arm in freefall.
2. Next they had me do 10 minutes in an iFly tunnel, which I love BTW. This was to demonstrate freefall control especially pitching the PC since it is my Right shoulder effected. (Just practice touches. No real Pilot chutes in tunnel ;-) )
3. The tunnel video was good but my DZO wanted more. I next did another tandem with my instructor allowing/requiring me to pull the Sigma ripcord and fly the canopy to make extra sure my shoulder could handle the pitching, reaching the toggles, and flairing for landing.

4. Finally a checkout dive, which is where you might get to start since you don't apparently have any physical limitations like I have.

The recurrency dive was typical. Looking for a stable exit, right turn left turn, backflip, front flip, barrel roll. We finished early as I still have good freefall skills. The did a 3 way with instructor and camera man.

It was way cool, and I highly suggest you return. It has been a great thing for me. This year I have hit my 12th hour in freefall. Got 80 jumps and will hit 1,400 dives by the end of 2017.

You can do it.

with 170 jumps, and I assume a license at some point, I think doing an AFF would be excessive. Refresher training, canopy control focus, falling stable has not changed at all, EP's and then a couple or 3 coach jumps to make sure you are not a flailing geek

IMO

Hey!
I resemble that remark. I’ve been a flailing geek for decades.

TK is right tho...
It’ll be as easy as falling off a log. Regaining your composure will be paramount. Get comfortable with the new equipment and don’t be afraid to ask questions of the instructors. Pull high, land right where you should and repeat. Make a consistent effort to jump often for at least a while. It may be a recreational activity but your safety and enjoyment as well as that of those around you depends on you getting “current” and poised. Now, go for it!

Jon

I spoke to them today and signed up. Basically a 6 hour class and 1 jump with 2 instructors. Possibly more depending on how I preform. I am not too worried about that. I am good with this. All seems in line with what I would expect. I can’t say what I remember but at the same time I have a sense it will be a bit like riding a bike. I mostly want to be safe. Totally jacked for 11/4.
Thanks for the feedback as well

Blue skies

Paul

I jumped last Saturday. Refresh with an instructor. He was just there. Get stable , turn right turn left. Get unstable with back flip, chill, turn track.

It was very good. Time was significantly faster than I remembered. I am confident that the next one will slow down. I was just amped for it.

Al in all a success.

Lol, jumped a 240. I landed sometime Sunday I think.

Can’t wait to go back again this weekend or the following, weather depending

Congratulations, welcome back! I started again at the beginning of this year after a 25-year break (250 jumps). After all the young parachutists (including the DZO) looking shocked at my old kit, the DZO gave me the address of a museum to donate it to :( It was then decided that I'd best have a chat for an hour with the old-timer who could tell me what had changed. And then I was put on the next load! First few jumps were solo and I'm back like the old times

Eagle7222

After 15 years of not jumping I have decided to get back into the sport. Looks like I should be ok taking a level 1 Aff. Maybe 1 day class and a jump with instructor? Anyone else ever come back after years? Left with 170 jumps back in like 2003 or so.

I have recently come back from a similar time off. Stopped just under 150 jumps. Was planning on pushing through to the 200 jumps for D license at the time, but life got in the way and jumping stopped for me for 15 years. About a dozen jumps back in and loving it. Did a little time in the tunnel too, so my first jump back I felt very confident.

Eagle7222

After 15 years of not jumping I have decided to get back into the sport. Looks like I should be ok taking a level 1 Aff. Maybe 1 day class and a jump with instructor? Anyone else ever come back after years? Left with 170 jumps back in like 2003 or so.

Ive been out for 5 years, but I'm coming back. Just put a new main in my rig.

I was out for 7 years once previously

This applies to dz.com as well as skydiving ;)
__

My mighty steed