Chowder

If you quit jumping, are you still a "skydiver"?

IMO if you have made one intentional freefall jump, solo, out of a plane, you are a skydiver.

One static line jump, means you are a parachutist.

One emergency jump means you are a member of the caterpillar club, and a lucky mofo.

That can't be taken away from you.

A tandem is just a carnival ride.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I can understand some people looking down at tandems as 'carnival rides', but what is up with the hating of static line? In the 1970's, there really wasn't AFF. If you intentionally let go of the strut, I consider you a skydiver. You would have 2-3 seconds of freefall before the canopy deployed.

I tried to join S.R.A - Skydivers Ressurection Award, but was told that because my static line jump in 1974 wasn't 'freefall', it didn't qualify. Interestingly enough, to qualify for SRA, the return jump after a 10 year layoff can be a tandem carnival ride.

Quit hating the static line jumpers :P

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I don't hate static line jumps, I regard it as the best, safest, and most efficient method of learning to jump. My jumping predates AFF by quite a few years (1974).

AFF by comparison is a very difficult way to teach and learn. I've never liked it as a method of instruction.

I make the distinction between SL and FF simply because at no point is the jumper on SL physically separated from the plane, before his parachute is deployed. He's not really in free fall. A skydiver has to deploy his own parachute after separation from the plane.

Anyone who jumps out of the plane on their own, whatever method they use, deserves huge respect, because they alone have to deal with any problems that might arise. Their fate is in their own hands.

And that is why a tandem is not the same. A tandem rider is just a piece of meat strapped to the front of a skydiver. Any problems, they don't have to do anything to save themselves.

Not saying any method requires more or less courage. All are a leap of faith.

I always found my SL students got a bigger sense of achievement than any tandem rider, simply because they did it on their own, so it was much more personal to them.

You could sometimes sense a feeling of jealousy from the tandem riders because of it, even though they had the buzz of freefall.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

If you made one tandem jump, you're not a skydiver. You're just someone who made a skydive.
If you're currently jumping, even off and on due to family, job, or life just getting in the way, you're a skydiver.
If you no longer jump nor intend to, you're a former skydiver.
Not really all that complicated.
What's right isn't always popular and what's popular isn't always right.

Hi Dan,

I'm a former skydiver.

About 5 yrs ago I was looking for an attorney in southern California. I found Chuck ( Scratch ) Harris, and old-time jumper in the San Diego area.

I introduced myself as a former skydiver. He told me point-blank, 'Once a skydiver, always a skydiver.'

We each define it for ourselves,

Jerry Baumchen

When I wasn't jumping (13 years), I don't think I ever called myself a former skydiver. I'd say I used to skydive, or used to jump.

I am myself; I do my actions.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I did a tandem a year and a half ago to celebrate my 20th sky birthday. I would have rented gear and done a currency jump, but a physical disability requires me to use custom gear.

I haven't made a solo skydive in almost eight years.

- Dan G

nicsoew

***I haven't made a real jump in almost eight years.

I'm not a skydiver. I'm a former skydiver.

Define real jump please. A head down clocked at 225 mph maybe. :P:o
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

DougH

My ratio of TI jumps to fun jumps has sucked lately.

I am not a skydiver, I am just a carnival ride cargo plane. :ph34r::ph34r:

I know a few people with a whole lot of recent jumps and a whole lot of total jumps that I wouldn't call a skydiver...
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I only have 2 AFFs and a tandem, but I voted if you do 100 and quit you're not really a skydiver, I've heard people say around 200 you get used to it, but 100 isn't 200. At least not for them. I think when you no longer have that fear of the jump, at that point you are always a skydiver because it will affect other areas of your life. It's like if you go around making a bunch of prank videos on strangers, eventually you'll be so boss at socializing that you can hit on chicks like it's nothing, cause you're so used to getting negative or positive feedback that you just aren't afraid of dealing with either. That kind of thing.

I'd guess its in your heart. I've known people that were jumpers before they ever stepped out of a plane. They are/were magic to jump with and watch. Its like the circus. When it gets in your blood, you're always there.
I'm a has-been. I hasbeen a skydiver and am proud of it.
I know people who haven't been out of a plane for 40 years and you can see it in their eyes and hear it when they talk. That they have never really left the air.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

jackwallace

I'd guess its in your heart. I've known people that were jumpers before they ever stepped out of a plane. They are/were magic to jump with and watch. Its like the circus. When it gets in your blood, you're always there.
I'm a has-been. I hasbeen a skydiver and am proud of it.
I know people who haven't been out of a plane for 40 years and you can see it in their eyes and hear it when they talk. That they have never really left the air.

Nice Post...
For Anyone who has ever enjoyed exiting a plane and Freefalling.....
Try to Never say.. " My Last Jump / Skydive was..... " even IF it has been years ago or decades ago....:|
Instead try to say " My Most Recent Jump / Skydive was ..... " !!!

See the difference?? ;) jmyt:)