jbelanger86

Not all tunnels are created equal....

My daughter is in the national guard and I was taking her to drill which happened to be only about an hour from Pidgeon Forge. So I decided to head up there to the tunnel and give it a go. I found out after I had so much trouble that this was the oldest tunnel in the country and it didn’t reach the speeds of the newer iFly tunnels. Needless to say I felt I wasn’t able to practice at all because the body position has to be different in that one. It did not feel normal at all.

The next morning, it’s been a long time since I’ve been that sore! Is that normal? Has anyone else tried this tunnel? Any advice is welcomed.

https://youtu.be/UFM6WH05LrE
https://youtu.be/T0rNBlyqE74
I might be a little obsessed....

JerryBaumchen

Hi 86,

Has anyone else tried this tunnel?

I was in it about 30 yrs ago when it was the only tunnel.

You should understand that it is 30+ yrs old. Any newer design will outperform it. Sorta like new gear vs 30 yr old gear.

Jerry Baumchen

Yea, I only heard about that after..... didn’t realize how old it actually was.
I might be a little obsessed....

jbelanger86

The next morning, it’s been a long time since I’ve been that sore! Is that normal?

I went there about 33 years ago and was very determined to "get the hang of it." I think I dropped $100 which got me around an hour of tunnel time. The next day I was so sore I could barely drive. If I were to do it again today, I'm sure I would be in a wheelchair.

I went there for the first time when I was 12 years old and loved it! I was tiny and flew to the ceiling and it rocked :-)

Went there again when I was 23 and had just started skydiving. My velcro suit flew open and I accidently flashed a good crowd of visitors watching :-)

Its definitely old and definitely has slow wind speed. Works great for little kids though!

jbelanger86

***It’s a recirculating hotbed of viral respiratory infection.

Umm, what exactly do you mean? Thats a little scary.....

Recirc tunnels use the same air over and over again. They don't bring fresh air in and dump it out the top.

In theory, any "airborne" viruses would remain in them and you would be exposed to them.
In reality, not so much. You are more "exposed" in an airliner than in one of these tunnels. If you are really worried, don't get in the tunnel immediately after someone who's obviously sick.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo