pakamon

Where can I go with a Solo Certificate from CSPA

Hello,

I got my certificate 2 years ago and my goal is to jump everywhere I travel and I was wondering if that is possible with the CSPA certificate?

I've read that you can only go to certified Canada Dropzones with it but that sounds kinda lame.

Planning to go to Costa Rica/Nicaragua this year and I'd really want to solo jump there. (Consider that I rent gear, if that's an issue I will be buying one)

What about Europe/US? Anyone can enlighten me please :)
Thank you!

The A licence is the lowest that is recognized internationally.

A CSPA Solo certificate is a particular Canadian thing. Here in Canada, you are no longer a Student when you have your Solo. But under most systems, until you have a full licence, you are a Student. So that's what you are internationally. And that means you are the responsibility of the dropzone.

Although licences vary internationally too, many have a system from A through D or similar, that matches with a set of recommendations from the international sporting body, the FAI. So in such cases, having a "C" licence in one country will be recognized as being similar to having a "C" in another.

The Solo is there for a couple reasons. It is a milestone where one is judged competent to supervise one's own jump even if still working on skills and not yet fully licenced. It also provides some formal level of recognition for a newbie skydiver, on the sometimes long journey to get their first full licence.

Particular DZ's outside of Canada might choose to accept a Solo certified jumper, but might want additional supervision at a cost -- you're still a Student to them, not qualified to be on your own.

(Even within Canada, moving to other DZ's with a Solo certificate can be a bother, as each DZ has a slightly different set of gear and procedures and training, so additional costs may be involved.)

That being said, there are a few US DZ's that are used to having Canadians show up, and are more likely to have a way of integrating newbie Canadians into their operations. (Skydive City in Florida is often mentioned.) Or there are times that Canadians travel as a group in winter to a US DZ, in which case you could jump under the supervision of a Canadian licenced Coach or Instructor.

As for countries like Costa Rica, small in terms of skydiving, I have no idea what they accept. (Tho' I know a Canadian instructor from Ontario who instructs there in winter.)

There are no drop zones in Nicaragua.

There are four DZs here in Costa Rica. I would check with them if they have rental gear and/or will allow you to jump.

1. Desafio Vertical
2. Skydive Pura Vida
3. Tropical Skydivers
4. Skydive Guanacaste

pakamon

Hello,

I got my certificate 2 years ago and my goal is to jump everywhere I travel and I was wondering if that is possible with the CSPA certificate?

I've read that you can only go to certified Canada Dropzones with it but that sounds kinda lame.

Planning to go to Costa Rica/Nicaragua this year and I'd really want to solo jump there. (Consider that I rent gear, if that's an issue I will be buying one)

What about Europe/US? Anyone can enlighten me please :)
Thank you!

You should read this http://cspa.ca/en/learn-skydive/get-certified/solo-certificate

"The Solo Certificate is the first step in becoming a licensed skydiver. It allows the skydiver to jump by themself without direct supervision of an Instructor. The skydiver will have demonstrated an ability to plan and conduct a safe skydive through the tasks completed below.
It is a national certification that is not recognized internationally."
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Skydive Arizona honours CSPA Solo Certificates during the Canadian Invasion every January. Since the Canadian Invasion usually includes several CSPA coaches and instructors, Solos can jump with instructors and coaches from their homeland.
Similarly, some Florida DZs allow British students to jump with BPA instructors.