jbelanger86

AFF Level One is complete. How did you feel on your first?

Im so excited! This past Friday I was able to jump for AFF 1. Ive never felt more alive... More in control.... More free.

I had a french instructor that told me I had a near perfect jump and I wanted to make sure he wasnt lying to me, i pushed a bit and he said something along the lines of "Im french, we dont coddle people like americans" Funniest thing I have heard in a long time, and also very refreshing.

So I know i forgot to wave off, but can yall take a look and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am finding that most people could care less, if they have never jumped. Im feeling quite alone in my acomplishment. My husband cant jump, my parents wont and my oldest daughter jumped once on a tandem, and she did get the "life changing" feeling, which is fine. It just sucks not to have people to talk to about it without being the annoying one.

Thank you for everything yall have done to help me get to this point. :)

I would also LOVE to hear about your first jump course!!! <3

DZ: Skydive Carolina, Chester, SC.
https://youtu.be/npRUxn75_es
I might be a little obsessed....

sundevil777

You made the instructors look good!

A perfect student/first AFF jump allows the instructors to attribute it to their instruction. No slight intended.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Welcome to the club! My suggestion is: wave off ;). Honestly, other than that it looked like the perfect 1st jump. Smooth inputs, perfect exit, good arch and stable position, good altitude awareness, you looked calm and in control, and you even cracked a smile.

If somebody with a 1000 jumps was to make an AFF level 1 jump, they wouldn't do it much better. Maybe just the wave off, and looking at the altimeter before you had to be reminded by the instructor right before pulling.

Certainly a whole lot better than my Level 1 where I went to the door, did the first 'check out' then left the plane without completing the full exit drill. The instructors wanted to know if I was an Association 'plant' sent to test their reflexes...but it still felt great.

I remember looking at the gauge and seeing 7500, so I looked away and that’s when he told me to look again. I knew I forgot something as I went to reach back but didn’t know what it was until after I landed and gathered my canopy. You really think the stability was good?
I might be a little obsessed....

jbelanger86

Im so excited! This past Friday I was able to jump for AFF 1. Ive never felt more alive... More in control.... More free.

I had a french instructor that told me I had a near perfect jump and I wanted to make sure he wasnt lying to me, i pushed a bit and he said something along the lines of "Im french, we dont coddle people like americans" Funniest thing I have heard in a long time, and also very refreshing.

So I know i forgot to wave off, but can yall take a look and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am finding that most people could care less, if they have never jumped. Im feeling quite alone in my acomplishment. My husband cant jump, my parents wont and my oldest daughter jumped once on a tandem, and she did get the "life changing" feeling, which is fine. It just sucks not to have people to talk to about it without being the annoying one.

I would also LOVE to hear about your first jump course!!!

Well done you and welcome to the sky :)
I've never fell so alive too.

I screamed with happiness under the canopy.

I've never ever taken any drugs in my life but it felt like someone had put a kilo of white powder up my nose.

Life changing. Simple.

Keep it up. It sucks sometimes but keep going.

The people who get good at this sport aren't the best at AFF or most natural skydiver or calmest - they are simply the ones that don't give up.

It took me a lot of jumps to get through AFF.

Blue Skies.

jbelanger86

I would also LOVE to hear about your first jump course!!! <3

You'll feel even more free when you start flying without instructors holding you,
although from that video didnt look like they had to use much effort.

Ive seen some AFF video's where I'm sure the student must have gotten the bowling talk afterwards :)

I cant really judge anyone's AFF since I used a static line (IAD) progression quite some time in the past, but from where I'm sitting you did great. Very stable looking, on heading, even on deployment.
__

My mighty steed

My first jump (AFF) was pretty good. At 8,000 I had completed the planned diveflow and I started thinking....what have I missed? Relax, I am suppose to relax. My hands looked like a cat trying to dig it's claws into the air to stop slipping. I relaxed and wow, what a difference. Then I got motion sick under canopy. The second jump was worse with motion sickness, which started during freefall, I guess, as I threw up right after the canopy opened.

I worked through that and other problems and finally got my license.

Happy for you that you got a great start. There might be some bumps along the way, but just keep working for your goal.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

jbelanger86

I remember looking at the gauge and seeing 7500, so I looked away and that’s when he told me to look again. I knew I forgot something as I went to reach back but didn’t know what it was until after I landed and gathered my canopy. You really think the stability was good?

Well, Andrew was only holding on with one hand. He also was looking very relaxed and unconcerned. Focused, but he clearly wasn't working very hard.
As noted, you made them look very good. You made their job look very easy. I"ve seen some AFF videos where the instructors had to work very hard, had looks of horror on their faces most of the jump, and did very well not to lose control of the student.

Congrats and on to the next one.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Welcome to the sport! The exit and fly away looked great, good neutral arch and for the most part you stayed positive with your legs. The only advice I would give is that when you are doing practice handle touches and actually pulling, keep your chin up. Look at the altimeter on the hand that counters your pull hand, the one in front of your face. Ducking your head can lead to instability on levels 3-7 when you don’t have instructors holding on. Like you I found a new life when I started and it’s an amazing community. Welcome and here’s to your continued success. Cheers.

Great thread!

I'm doing Level 1 later this month and am filled with nervous excitement.

Surprisingly, my nerves are strongest with the parachute and getting down safely versus the freefall & balance. Could be that I've done tandem 6 times.

Excited and interested to learn more about your progression

jbelanger86

I am finding that most people could care less, if they have never jumped. Im feeling quite alone in my acomplishment.

Those people are called whuffo’s. They will never understand so don’t let it bother you. You are a skydiver now and only other skydivers will get it. That’s why we all hang out around the bonfire afterward and talk about all of the awesome shit we just did together.

Now go out and jump again B|.