HammerinHank

Container size to canopy size question.

Do not install a main or reserve canopy larger than the sizing chart calls for as there are serious safety issues that may arise from “overstuffing” a main or reserve container.

If you choose to go against the manufacturer info above and risk it that's up to you.

a J4.5K would be a better choice of container for that canopy
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

HammerinHank

Getting a new Javelin J4K. can I put a Sabre 2 210 in it ? I could be wrong but that's Not a low bulk canopy and Manufacturer specs says only a low bulk 210 can be put in it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Without any judgement : why do you not trust the manufacturer's recommendations ?

HammerinHank

I do trust them. I’m a newbie also and just asking questions. That way. I don’t do the wrong thing. I trust you guys more than I trust a Manufacturer recommendation. They are in it for the money.

That's an interesting point of view. You are correct, they are a for profit company. As a new jumper you don't really have any idea what companies have what reputations. And it is reasonable to assume that corporations are here to take your money and screw you over. Life teaches us that.

Most gear companies are too small, and the industry is too small for them to last long if they don't keep up their reputations. But even so, there are some container makers who will recommend larger canopies than I would want to try to fit. Sunpath is not among them. If you are looking at a Javelin you can trust the sizing chart.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

HammerinHank

I do trust them. I’m a newbie also and just asking questions. That way. I don’t do the wrong thing. I trust you guys more than I trust a Manufacturer recommendation. They are in it for the money.

Wrong answer! Advice on tbw internet is like used chewing gum; you don't know where it came from and you don't want to pick it up. I've seen bad, dangerous and deadly advice given by wanna be skygods passing on something they heard from another wanna be skygood' all with 50 jumps. From before the internet when a 40 year old newbie with a USPA polo shirt was giving students bad advice. So bad we had to warn anybidy past a first jump not to listen to him. Same thing here. Now, if you hang around here you will eventually find some folks that you will trust. But we still all have different opinions. And some do differ from the manufacturer. But the default answer is READ THE FUCKING MANUAL and CALL THE MANUFACTURER. Then if something doesn't make sense call the manufacturer again. We want you to ask questions but you need to know who your asking. Not an open forum.

Now things aren't too bad here but be aware thdre are manufacturers reps on here. Most very helpful. Some defending products most of us think are bad.

And one of the most common newbie mistakes is trying to. Ram the absolute biggest canopy in the smallest container. Your rigger will hate you and it is dangerous.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Ok, I'll take a different tack and say that yeah, while it is always important to check what the manufacturer says, you don't have to trust them completely.

There have been debates about how realistic a company's container size list is (more for reserves though than mains), or how to interpret the words they use. Or sometimes they have had ridiculous statements on reserve loop length. Or for years manufacturers have had wildly different philosophies about recommended wing loadings on canopies -- Sometimes realistic for today's jumpers, sometimes stuck in the early '90s, sometimes strongly covering their own asses.

Just this year I saw a very well established dealer complain that one company's new main and reserve sizing chart is "all wrong", or even "dangerous to pack". Stinging criticism.... but I think others may have disagreed. Were they right or wrong on this issue before, or are they right or wrong with the new list? Manufacturers are not automatically perfect.

So I don't see a problem in saying, "The manufacturer says X. I'm not experienced in that area. Is what they are saying correct?" It probably is correct, and I might even roll my eyes on that particular question, but it is fair for you to double check.

Wow. I have to say just by reading these responses I have learned a lot and this tells me how new I really am. I had No idea that the size of the main could have anything to do with the quality of deployment of the reserve. I was already convinced that I’m going to stick with a 210 low bulk like Sunpath says and then use whatever at the 190 size but you guys opened my eyes. Thank you again for the responses. Reason I asked is cuz I wanna be safe. Thank you.

Here's where I'm confused. On the sunbath site manuals. It says for the container I'm getting. ZP Main canopy. 190 Hybrid F-111/ZP Main canopy 210. Low bulk 210.

The Sabre 2 210 says it's all ZP fabric. So where I'm confused is does this fall under the needs to be 190 or 210. ???

I guess if I'm reading it right. A Sabre 2 would fall under the ZP canopy meaning it can't be a 210. Has to be a 190. I'm good with that. I'll shut up and just jump. Lol

HammerinHank

Here's where I'm confused. On the sunbath site manuals. It says for the container I'm getting. ZP Main canopy. 190 Hybrid F-111/ZP Main canopy 210. Low bulk 210.

The Sabre 2 210 says it's all ZP fabric. So where I'm confused is does this fall under the needs to be 190 or 210. ???

I guess if I'm reading it right. A Sabre 2 would fall under the ZP canopy meaning it can't be a 210. Has to be a 190. I'm good with that. I'll shut up and just jump. Lol

Usually, if not explicitly stated otherwise, canopies are all ZP. Low bulk costs extra and manufacturers will market those canopies with that in mind...