Skydivingmanda

Shoulder injury

Hi everyone! I'm new here so bare with me if this isn't in the right forum :)

I'm looking to see how many people have had shoulder injuries that resulted in surgery and that were able to jump again .
Unfortunately during my last free fall my shoulder dislocated ( first time it ever happened ) . Between that force, the brutal chute opening and then trying to place it back ( I managed 3 times but it kept popping back out ) , it did some considerable damage .

I know the recovery is long... I'm still wearing the brace until tomorrow. Surgery was for a bankart and slap repair. No sports until may ... I plan on getting a shoulder sleeve and giving it a try in the wind tunnel first and probably another tandem jump before ever jumping alone again...if any issues occur at these points then I obviously won't do it next summer..

But I just wanted to hear your stories...your experiences and even your opinions :)

Thank you people !

1. Heal first, then,
2. skydive

Sorry to hear that you've injured yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery. As a nurse I'm sure that you know that rushing rehab can set you back. Even if you can't jump for a while you can still hang out at the DZ and assist in some way.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

I had the same injury, SLAP tear and bank art lesion. I diligently followed my doctors and physical therapists orders and have had no issues since returning to jumping. As many will say, don’t push it, make sure you are 100% before jumping again. Shoulders can be very delicate and temperamental. My injury occurred just over 4 years ago, my recovery took 5 months post surgery. Everyone’s recovery will be different, I’ve seen a few take longer.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Definitely take it gentle for the first few months and carefully follow your physio-therapists' advice.
More than 9 years ago I dislocated my shoulder bring a plane crash. I tore my acromia-clavicular ligament and the top end of my biceps. I made the mistake of packing 14 main parachutes only 3 months after my injury. BIG MISTAKE. Packing set my recovery back by several months. 4 months after the accident WSBC sent me a letter allowing me to return to LIGHT DUTIES. It was a full year before I could use my shoulder without pain.
9 years after the accident, my ACL started to hurt again and I had to resume physio-therapy.

Skydivingmanda

Hi everyone! I'm new here so bare with me if this isn't in the right forum :)

I'm looking to see how many people have had shoulder injuries that resulted in surgery and that were able to jump again .
Unfortunately during my last free fall my shoulder dislocated ( first time it ever happened ) . Between that force, the brutal chute opening and then trying to place it back ( I managed 3 times but it kept popping back out ) , it did some considerable damage .

I know the recovery is long... I'm still wearing the brace until tomorrow. Surgery was for a bankart and slap repair. No sports until may ... I plan on getting a shoulder sleeve and giving it a try in the wind tunnel first and probably another tandem jump before ever jumping alone again...if any issues occur at these points then I obviously won't do it next summer..

But I just wanted to hear your stories...your experiences and even your opinions :)

Thank you people !

Six years ago (before I started skydiving) I dislocated my left shoulder multiple times, and finally had the Bankart Repair operation. The recovery after the operation was long, but since then I haven't had any issues apart for some minor reduction in my range of motion.

When I started skydiving and flying in the tunnel I was worried and wore a sleeve. But I did not feel any discomfort or instability, and the sleeve was cumbersome so I stopped using it.