skydiverek

MUST SEE: student cuts away below 250 feet / 75 meters! VIDEO

20_kN

It looks like he had a lineover or something similar and decided he dident want to land it. I guess the real question why he waited that long to act. Did he throw his main at 1000'?

It was a student. Under radio control. The audio is missing now, but in the earlier one you can hear the instructors. One of them was laughing. But not at the end.

gowlerk

***It looks like he had a lineover or something similar and decided he dident want to land it. I guess the real question why he waited that long to act. Did he throw his main at 1000'?

It was a student. Under radio control. The audio is missing now, but in the earlier one you can hear the instructors. One of them was laughing. But not at the end.Sure I get that he was a student. But in AFF they taught me to pull at 5500' and hard-deck was at 2500'. I assume most other student programs have somewhat similar altitudes. So the question is what happened that the guy got into this scenario in the first place? If he was pulling somewhere in the 5000' range, he should have had plenty of time to make these decisions much higher.

Yes, she was a poor student. We don't know what the jump was. It may not have been AFF at all. It may have been a static line or IAD jump. First time jumpers are unpredictable. In the stress of a first or early skydive they are very prone to being overwhelmed and making errors.

Many students have failed to cut away malfunctions. Experienced jumper sometimes do as well.

>Boy howdy that's a pretty line over.

I don't think that's a lineover, since it looks fairly controllable - and the PC/bridle isn't visible. I suspect the PC wrapped around the deploying canopy early in the deployment and choked off the center.

>What happened to the three checks on canopy opening...

>Is it big?
>Is it rectangular?
>Is it sound?

Indeed. We use "shape spin float" but same basic idea.

The biggest mistake here, though, was not misidentifying a problem with the canopy - it was cutting away below 1000 feet. In my FJC's I emphasize that below 1000 feet you never ever cutaway in the air because your reserve won't have time to inflate before impact. Obviously this person was very, very lucky.

I'd love a translation of what the instructors were shouting over the radio...

For me they need to be talking her through the shitshow of the situation she's put herself in - and keep talking to her to stop her doing something stupid. 'Hands in the toggles. Don't change direction. You're OK' all of that.

SERIOUS beer for the reserve packer.

"I would also add that this was NOT a Skyhook save"

The pilot-chute comes out so fast that I find it very hard to believe a first-timer or novice could pull the reserve handle so fast after pulling the cutaway pad. If it isn't a Skyhook it must surely be an SOS or other single-point dual action system...