jbelanger86

Skydiving after dental work?

I searched the forums and didn’t see a clear answer. I broke a tooth last week and I’m having a root canal tomorrow (Tuesday) and I’ll get a temp crown on Wednesday. Will this effect me his weekend in jumps? I think it was the form I filled out for my first tandem where it asked about if I had dental work done within the past 48 hours or something like that. Thoughts?
I might be a little obsessed....

jbelanger86

I searched the forums and didn’t see a clear answer. I broke a tooth last week and I’m having a root canal tomorrow (Tuesday) and I’ll get a temp crown on Wednesday. Will this effect me his weekend in jumps? I think it was the form I filled out for my first tandem where it asked about if I had dental work done within the past 48 hours or something like that. Thoughts?

Standard disclaimer: medical advice on the internet is lame.

As a practicing dentist and jumper for 30 plus years each, people generally can do what they feel like doing. If the area is sore or slightly swollen, they may not want to be going up and down all day, dealing with pressure changes. On the other hand, if the area feels good, have at it. It not near as traumatic to the body as an extraction or other surgery. Hopefully, anyway!;)

Bottom line, ask the dentist, he/she will know exactly how traumatic the work was.

Jump more, post less!

>Thoughts?

I've done it with no problems.

If you are taking narcotics for the pain I'd avoid skydiving until you were off them. In general your dentist (and/or doctor) is going to be the best place to get advice on this.

As a side note, it can be very valuable to have a sports-oriented doctor who is familiar with these tradeoffs. I found one about ten years ago and he's been great in terms of advice on how long to wait after X.