20_kN

Coloring Line Attachment Points?

I noticed that Aerodyne uses colored webbing on their canopies to indicate the different line groups. Being a novice packer I found that feature to be really useful. I suspect it wont matter later on when I get better, but starting out it's sure been easier. I dont have colored webbing on my canopy and I was considering using something like a colored Sharpie to color the attachment points for the different line groups. I was thinking I could color just the excess webbing that is past the bar tack since that webbing is just excess and doesent appear to be structural in any way.

Ideas?

I dont have colored webbing on my canopy and I was considering using something like a colored Sharpie to color the attachment points for the different line groups.

I have seen this done several times and I'm sure you will find someone here that will tell you it is or is not allowed. I won't go there. I will say in all honesty that with just a few more packjobs under your belt they will not be needed whatsoever. You will be surprised at how quickly you will outgrow the need for colored attachment points. :)
=========Shaun ==========

A little research..

"Effects of markers on canopy fabric and lines"
http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Gear_and_Rigging_F6/Effects_of_markers_on_canopy_fabric_and_lines_P184984

"Magic marker on my lines?"
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do%3Dpost_view_flat%3Bsb%3Dpost_latest_reply%3Bso%3DASC%3Bpost%3D77834=View+Flat+Mode#77834
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Yes, Aerodyne's coloured line attachment tapes make it easier to learn how to Pro-Pack.
A few of my customers marked their LAT with toluene-based felt pens. Those canopies lasted hundreds or thousands of jumps. I never saw a difference in wear patterns or longevity.

Similarly, I have repacked dozens/hundreds? of reserves with contact info written on wide, white bridles. Never saw any difference in wear patterns.

There have been other threads too on using markers. Someone would have to dig them out. (Eg, search for "sharpie marker" threads.)

I don't recall all the conclusions, but generally a real Sharpie was considered fairly safe but not guaranteed perfect. There are certain markers certified safe ("Total Element Certified"), but few seek them out. Some common Sharpies but not others are considered acid free.

However in practice many people don't worry too much about markers:

Markers get used by riggers on reserve bridles , for colouring kill lines, for making marks on main & reserve lines when finger trapping them...
,,, and for making marks on main & reserve closing loops when adjusting each to a particular length.

I don't know what's done at factories, but the average rigger will be using a regular Sharpie I bet.

So I have no problem with colouring main canopy attachment tabs.

pchapman

There have been other threads too on using markers. Someone would have to dig them out. (Eg, search for "sharpie marker" threads.)

See two comments above.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

kuai43

Yup... Bluewater ropes. Good pull. Looks to have been discussed more than a few times!