DemolitionDarby

Logan Paul AFF Cutaway

"This has never happened to another student at this school"

Yeh right. I remember being told that during my first jump training. I had a sleeve lock on one of my clear and pulls had to go with the 24' unmodified reserve.
The next weekend going past the first jump class to the outhouse I hear the instructor saying "now this has never happened to a student here, but ....."

While I agree he comes off as a douche generally speaking I don’t think this post was that bad. Considering he’s a student and knows almost nothing about the sport empty pack and whatnot isn’t too bad. Wouldn’t expect much else of a student cutaway. I’d also love to hear from an experienced jumper or instructor with first hand knowledge of the event.

Now that my girlfriend and I have been talking about this more I can definitely see how a non skydiver might see empty pack and think something like he jumped out and the parachute was empty aside from the reserve. Better terminology might have been open reserve container or unpacked reserve or used reserve etc. Also would have been nice if there was some knowledgeable explanation of the malfunction not “didn’t open”.

On the bright side, I see a cutaway handle in the picture, if this douche can hold his handle and anyone one of us drops theirs on a cutaway I’m giving you some shit 😂

Because he has MILLIONS with a Capital M followers that LOVE him. My son who is almost 12 thinks he is hilarious, and his apology and videos on suicide are sincere and very welcomed by those that have been touched by suicide. I know this personally October seems like yesterday. So just because you don't like the kid for one dumbass ignorant mistake doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a human being. Besides that, he has MILLIONS of followers. A DZ would do well to sell him his AFF for $1 a jump because they are going to be swamped as if point break came out today

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

hardhatpat

I just want to know why the answer at perris wasn't "just no"

I take this back after seeing the video of his chop. I might have too and definitely would have if it was an AFF jump.

Yes, he IS a tool but maybe he can get many more people interested in our sport too?

catfishhunter

Because he has MILLIONS with a Capital M followers that LOVE him. My son who is almost 12 thinks he is hilarious, and his apology and videos on suicide are sincere and very welcomed by those that have been touched by suicide. I know this personally October seems like yesterday. So just because you don't like the kid for one dumbass ignorant mistake doesn't mean he doesn't have value as a human being. Besides that, he has MILLIONS of followers. A DZ would do well to sell him his AFF for $1 a jump because they are going to be swamped as if point break came out today

Millions of kids who are ineligible to skydive. How many adults with enough disposable income to actually do AFF follow this guy online? I suspect few.

catfishhunter

My son who is almost 12 thinks he is hilarious, and his apology and videos on suicide are sincere and very welcomed by those that have been touched by suicide.

Not going to tell you how to parent, but... ugh... I would absolutely restrict access if I found out my kid was watching this asshole.

Coming back to the actual chop: It looks like his slider was hung up on the top and, given it was an AFF jump, it was probably really good reaction on his part to just chop as soon as he could and save his altitude--but: Is it likely that it would have eventually come down, and would you have waited a couple seconds longer if it was you in that situation?

I mostly jump a Spectre and honestly, this probably wouldn't even have looked like a malfunction to me at the point he chopped it--just like a more or less average snivel...well maybe a little extra long, but certainly not much different than average. You can see that the instructor pulls just 3.5 seconds after him and his canopy is still sniveling at the point the student pulls the cutaway.

mbohu

Coming back to the actual chop: It looks like his slider was hung up on the top and, given it was an AFF jump, it was probably really good reaction on his part to just chop as soon as he could and save his altitude--but: Is it likely that it would have eventually come down, and would you have waited a couple seconds longer if it was you in that situation?

I mostly jump a Spectre and honestly, this probably wouldn't even have looked like a malfunction to me at the point he chopped it--just like a more or less average snivel...well maybe a little extra long, but certainly not much different than average. You can see that the instructor pulls just 3.5 seconds after him and his canopy is still sniveling at the point the student pulls the cutaway.

Whoever he is, you can't question his decision making.

And at any level of competence, that is one of the most important things.

Make a decision, and stick to it.

That's the lesson young Skywalker.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....