Bluhdow

Stolen Gear: Farmers Branch, TX

A parachute was recently stolen from Apex BASE through the use of a fraudulent credit card. This stock item was purchased on our website and delivered earlier this month.

Before shipping out stock gear we always open a line of communication with the buyer to verify age, number of skydives, and number of BASE jumps. In this case we had e-mail communication with the customer who verified all of the above in a dialogue that did not suggest anything suspicious. It is our belief that this gear may have been stolen by an actual jumper with a fraudulent credit card, or by a criminal who had enough knowledge to speak a bit of BASE, if you will. To add some additional color, he claimed to be 25 years old with around 400 skydives and 15 BASE jumps. He also gave a weight which would have made the 280 an appropriate size.

The stolen canopy is a black & white UltraLite Lynx 280, SN #20-19280-0016. The canopy is brand new.

In addition to the canopy this person also ordered a stash bag, two pilot chutes, a D30 back pad, and a set of risers. All items that make sense alongside a canopy order.

The name given by this person is "Larry Valdez." He had the gear shipped to an address in Farmers Branch, TX. This is a residence that is occupied, but obviously "Larry" doesn't live there and was using it as a drop address. We had e-mail communications with him at the e-mail address: [email protected].

Since receiving this canopy "Larry" has attempted to order another canopy and more accessories, none of which he will be receiving.

If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of this gear we would love to retrieve it.

This will hopefully serve as a cautionary tale to other manufacturers and anyone selling gear over the internet. It's how we all do business but fraud is becoming more sophisticated so be sure to go the extra mile when verifying the identity of the person buying your gear.
Apex BASE

Bluhdow

This is a residence that is occupied, but obviously "Larry" doesn't live there and was using it as a drop address.

Do you know that for a fact? Is it possible that the resident is the thief who used a fake name?

BTW, a pretty solid way of avoiding this is to simply require a signature upon delivery. I NEVER order skydiving gear without demanding signature delivery. It's simply too expensive to risk it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Bluhdow

The resident is not the thief and has been receiving packages with this name for some time now. She has reported this to the local police and had all packages that she intercepted returned to sender.

So my question stands. Why not just have a policy that shipments will only be made requiring signature? Requiring a signature is only a couple bucks extra and eliminates the loss of thousands of dollars in product loss.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Hi Chuck,

Why not just have a policy that shipments will only be made requiring signature?

The last shipment of canopies that I received from PD had, in the largest letters on the shipping document, 'Signature Required.'* FedEx just left it on my front porch.

* This may not be the absolutely correct, perfect wording on the shipping document, but I think you and others get the idea.

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

Why not just have a policy that shipments will only be made requiring signature?

The last shipment of canopies that I received from PD had, in the largest letters on the shipping document, 'Signature Required.'* FedEx just left it on my front porch.

* This may not be the absolutely correct, perfect wording on the shipping document, but I think you and others get the idea.

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry,

You aren't the only one to experience that.

I've had the same thing happen with UPS.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JerryBaumchen

Hi Chuck,

Jerry Baumchen

If that happened to me I would be on the phone pitching a king-sized bitch to management. Also, if you demand signature shipments and the parcel gets stolen from the porch without someone signing for, the delivery service is liable for the loss. That's the whole point behind requiring a signature - to PROVE you got it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

chuckakers

***Hi Chuck,

Jerry Baumchen

If that happened to me I would be on the phone pitching a king-sized bitch to management. Also, if you demand signature shipments and the parcel gets stolen from the porch without someone signing for, the delivery service is liable for the loss. That's the whole point behind requiring a signature - to PROVE you got it.

I don't think the delivery drivers really pay attention. I have an office in a rather busy, commercial corridor that invites a lot of foot traffic. We have a probation office and an adult safety center (DUI classes, traffic school, etc) in the building. I have had more than one package left outside my office door on a Friday evening after we are gone, and the driver sent my a nice picture of it sitting there! Those packages were gone probably before I opened the message.

I have reminded them that packages, some containing medical supplies, cannot be left without a signature, cannot be left outside the office, cannot be left next door. Still happens. All the time.

The delivery people have been so overwhelmed with packages with Amazon and such, that they are just practically flinging them off the trucks.

Jump more, post less!

Hi Chuck,

If that happened to me I would be on the phone pitching a king-sized bitch . . . if you demand signature shipments

I was not the shipper. I did not ask for the signature; PD did that .

I have a canopy coming in next week ( different mfr ) and it is going to the local FedEx Office. I get up that way everyday so it is not a problem to pick it up there. UPS charges extra for this same service.

Jerry Baumchen

You are on the right track. Apparently a signature was collected, but not by the resident. We've got a claim in.

That said, we'd rather have the canopy! It's a beautiful UL black and white Lynx 280, brand new, and literally the only one of it's kind (so far)!
Apex BASE