20_kN

Keeping Solid Altitude Awareness?

I have a bit of an embaresing admission to make. I have around 80 jumps and for the first 75 or so I have not had much issue with altitude awareness. I have been able to pull around the intended altitude pretty much all the time. That all changed over the last 10 jumps. I was invited to do some larger group jumps with a dozen or so jumpers. Up until this point I've never jumped with more than four people and I rarely jump with more than two.

Fast-forward to the jumps, we all decided on a multi-stage breakoff at 5k and 4.5k for the base. We mapped out the dive flow on the ground several times so everyone had an understanding of their place. For the first few jumps I was on the outside, so tracking out at 5k, and for the jumps after that I was on the base, tracking out at 4.5k.

When it came time to track out, I found myself having to track longer than expected to get a solid distance from the rest and I ended up breaking off at 5k and pulling at 3k. Once I moved onwards to the base and tracked out at 4.5k, I found myself tracking very close to someone else so I had to track even further to get away from him which gave me a deployment of only 2k. By the time I was under canopy and stable I was at only 1600', which for me is deep in the red. That's already well below my hard deck. I normally pull at 4k, so that's really low for me.

Anyway, I just found that jumping in larger groups eats up a lot more of my attention to looking for other trackers, opening canopies, looking side to side, above and below before I open, ect, ect.

So I am wondering if an audible might be a solid solution? My altitude awareness during the dive flow is fine, it’s not an issue until I start tracking away and can no longer read my altimeter and after a few seconds go by it starts to become a guess as to what my altitude is based on what the ground looks like.

You are going to get a ton of advice here. But I'm first! You absolutely should have an audible in this situation, and at the same time you should absolutely not rely on it. The second thing is what you already know. Do more four way and develop more skills before getting into larger groups. Be particularly concerned if there are several people at your level of experience in your group. Seek out coaching from the leaders in your groups.

Deploying at 2k may be necessary in situations, but it is not safe and it is against the rules. I am making no comment other than that because I was not there. What is completely clear from your very honest post is that you are in a little over your head right now. You need to step back a little for a while.

I would be very uncomfortable with a staged breakoff of 5k and 4.5k. That's 3 seconds, way too close for those two groups. And 12 people doesn't typically require a staged breakoff. Also, you can always request to 'up' the breakoff altitude.

ixlr82

I would be very uncomfortable with a staged breakoff of 5k and 4.5k. That's 3 seconds, way too close for those two groups. And 12 people doesn't typically require a staged breakoff. Also, you can always request to 'up' the breakoff altitude.

Everything that he said..

Also, have someone video your track. From 5K I can get an easy 10 seconds of tracking, which should get you clear of everything. Problems could be diving too steeply when you track.

Good job watching for traffic. It's not good to be opening low all the time, but it's safer than a freefall collision. If you work hard on tracking more efficiently, you'll be able to outfly others and take evasive action more quickly.

You could also wear a chest mount or mudflap mounted altimeter, similar to wing suiters. We used to all jump chest mount altimeters back in the day, and they were very easy to read while tracking.

rjklein4470

Also practice tracking and get some video doing it. Cupping and rolling your shoulders forward helps. Learning a really flat track will help, but it's not one thing, it's all the small things that will get you good separation.

Absolutely. I work on my track every jump. I notice not many people really track as well as they could.

5K is plenty altitude to get a decent track in. As has been said, you don't need to stage the breakoff, At breakoff everyone needs to track like hell. Bigger formations will prolly mean staging breakoff, but not necessary for 10 - 12 ways.

During the track it is NOT the time to be looking for an altimeter.

You need to be scanning for other jumpers, and avoiding when necessary.

If you know you are at 5 K on breakoff (which you should be if your base man is diligent with breakoff), then all you need to do is count to yourself, as you track, if you get to 10, its time to wave off and dump. That should have you activating at 3K.

It should not be necessary to track that long if you know and trust your fellow jumpers. This is why you need to be careful if there are rookies on the load.

Pre jump briefings and jumper discipline is really important.

Plan the jump and jump the plan. Anyone who doesn't, needs to be axed.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

I think all advice can be summarize in:

-Get an audible
-Learn how to track effectively
-Build up your big-ways skills (4-way->6-way->8-way->10-way->12-way)
-Got someone that knows how to properly plan a jump of that size taking into account the experience level of everyone involved

Your problem isn't just altitude awareness, your problem is lack of separation in the time you are given, and that is not just your problem, that's everyone's (in the group) problem. If the group needs more time, move up the break-off altitude, don't suck it low for 10 jumps.

After that go back to 12-ways ;)

You said planned breakoff was 5k & 4.5k, yet you normally pull at 4.

What was your planned pull altitude for these jumps?

Do you know the USPA recommendation for breakoff altitude compared to pull altitude (as in how far breakoff should be above planned pull altitude)?

Do you know why a staged breakoff was planned? I've done up to 15 ways, and all we did was break off fairly high, all at once.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo