chasitie

Well... AFF here I come..

I’ve posted a few times about how to get over the fear of doing aff and all that Jazz.
Well the time has come and I will be starting training on Sunday! What are some things that I should be expecting??
Please feel free to share your experiences of your AFF courses!
Super nervous about that door flying open, but I’ve done five tandems.. how rough can it be :$

chasitie

I’ve posted a few times about how to get over the fear of doing aff and all that Jazz.
Well the time has come and I will be starting training on Sunday! What are some things that I should be expecting??
Super nervous about that door flying open, but I’ve done five tandems.. how rough can it be :$

Think less, fly more. Have fun becoming part of the family.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Congrats on the first step!

With 5 tandem, you'll be alright. Listen to what your instructor tells you, breathe and relaxe.

It's a bliss the first few jumps! You'll get a well deserve beer after the day, for sure!

Some quick tips to go through the AFF and beyond:
- Spend time on the DZ, meet new people and become part of the family ;)

- Try to do tunnel time; I am from Canada and we have the option to do a 20min of tunnel to kickstart our course. It did help a lot since you can just think about your position and become stable before adding the stress of the plane ride, exit & landing.

- As you progress, go through your licences as soon as you have the number of jumps required. I have seen so many people become enough experimented but missing the licences to do more stuff. It was just a matter of them not doing their requirements.

Oh and lastly... Pay the beer at the end!!

Keep us posted!
Just Launched a Brand New Youtube Channel All About Skydiving!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXYd4K-SNSjeZqDZs9f78JQ
Facebook:https://www.fb.com/skydive.vibes/

chasitie

Chasitie I also have just booked my aff for June and done my 3rd tandem yesterday, but can’t seem to get rid of the anxiety in plane
especially on jump run, thought my heart was going to climb out my chest yesterday but once in the air absolutely fine :S

Would be really helpful if you could post your progress on here :)
Thx john

In my experience, the best way to "get over" the anxiety is to just focus on other things. Throw yourself into AFF (next week is better than June if you can make it work), stop doing tandems which just give you more opportunity to find things to worry about, study everything, and exit a moving aircraft as often as possible. I did AFF over 3 days. If I had slept better the week before (work related) or was fitter I could have done it in 2. There was no time to be anxious. Since jump 10 I've been perfectly relaxed through climb and exit, and I attribute that to lack of opportunity to invent things to be worried about.

It varies person to person, but fear goes away eventually. It may be on jump 10, or jump 100. I got injured on AFF-A, and my anxiety was through the roof on a retake (been over 30 days). Around jump 10, I was perfectly fine. YMMV, but as you learn more about your gear and about your skill, fear will step back a bit, replaced by confidence.

I never understood why one would do multiple tandems, let alone 5, at the same DZ. Even though I'm yet to start AFF (less than 3 weeks to go!), doing multiple tandems to me feels like voluntarily taking the bus, just for the ride. I'd much prefer driving myself!

I'm hoping my 6 tunnel minutes & 1 tandem have provided enough "experience" to stop myself from sensory overload on the first AFF jumps. Once finish the first AFF jump and sign up for the rest of the course, I can buy a one time 10-minute tunnel slot for some more tunnel coaching.

Congrats on beginning your AFF. It's the first step to a whole new world. I finished mine up a month or so ago and am 12 jumps away from my B now. Here's my experience. I still get anxious on the plane going up to altitude. Having a bit of fear is healthy and learning to control it has helped me grow a bit. Visualizing my jump on the plane, from exit to landing, helps m control that. I get some funny looks sometimes but I'll go through all the motions of what my plan is, as well as doing a few handle checks on the way. Brian Germain has written some good stuff on preparing yourself and your headspace for what you're about to do. For some reason, when that red light comes on and the door opens, I feel a sense of relief mixed in with "It's Go Time!" Enjoy this new step. Get to know the people at your DZ. Everyone at my home DZ brought me in and have helped me grow in this sport as well as everyone at the other DZs I've visited. This has just been my experience. Good luck, have fun, and blue skies.

benlangfeld

In my experience, the best way to "get over" the anxiety is to just focus on other things.

Good advice. I prefer using positive visualization, running thru the jump over and over in my head, going perfectly, while riding to altitude. I encourage my students to do the same thing.

chasitie

Every day I hear a tandem say "I'm glad I did a tandem. I could never have gone alone." Naturally they would say this, given the very limited amount of training they get preparatory to their jump. You, on the other hand, will be given all the information necessary to so a safe AFF skydive, and you will love it. Relax.
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.