Sabrekakkonen

Lowest bail-out altitude

Imagine case that jump plane engine fails shortly after takeoff and you are not able to get back to runway. You will land to forest or settlement.

What is minium altitude you would jump and immediatly pull reserve and not land in plane?
You have pretty good probability to die or get major injuries if you stay in plane.

Note, horizontal airspeed speeds up reserve opening.

I would jump at 200m/ 650ft or higher.
Its 7seconds to impact.
Two seconds for exit and pull, and five seconds for reserve opening. Nearly always reserve will fully open in five seconds.

Assuming that the pilot wants us to leave (I know most pilots at my home club will keep you inside, to avoid messing with cg during an already VERY busy time, and because less weight doesn't actually help them improve glide angle), I'd be happy to exit anywhere above ~600 feet. But in that case, I'm throwing my reserve ripcord back in the plane!

+/- 900' have to add i'm a big fat belly flyer so I have always been by the door or on the floor since I was most of the time outside. much below 900 your best bet is to stay in the plane unless it's on fire and you can get out. I'd rather bounce then burn..The truth is if you're a free flyer or a tandem or camera you aren't getting out of a plane going down at those altitudes. you pray..

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

You might read the thread on the Pitt Meadows King Air crash.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3287168;search_string=Pitt%20Meadows%20King%20Air%20;#3287168

Engine failure at around 2000' Nobody had the opportunity to get out.

This sort of thing happens really fast.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I just listened to some presentations on safety day at Arizona Skydiving, including one from one of the jump pilots, who I asked a similar question and from what it sounded like, it's usually the pilot who makes the decision if we get to bail out.
(sure, if it's about your own life you might want to take it into your own hands, but if this endangers the lives of all your buddies in the plane with you, do you really want to do that?)

The pilot said that in most emergencies of that nature he'd let us know to stay or go and would usually even use the yellow-green light procedure, just like on jump-run. (I guess on a smaller plane that would be different?)

mbohu

The pilot said that in most emergencies of that nature he'd let us know to stay or go and would usually even use the yellow-green light procedure, just like on jump-run. (I guess on a smaller plane that would be different?)

What does yellow green light mean? As in yellow and green is on, but red is off? So I presume that means emergency exit?