Hunterbeav

Tony suit or Bev

I'm 6ft 220lbs and fall pretty fast...I'm mostly doing RW jumping...seems to me that the Tony would give me a slower fall rate...I was looking at the tony original compared to the bev competition....any thoughts...is the bev built better then the Tony or vis a versa

Are you looking to start a brand war?! Seriously, both are very well built. Well enough to last you for as long as you are likely to be skydiving. When ordering you can tell them if the goal of the suit is a slow, or medium fall rate in the comment section.

gowlerk

Are you looking to start a brand war?! Seriously, both are very well built. Well enough to last you for as long as you are likely to be skydiving. When ordering you can tell them if the goal of the suit is a slow, or medium fall rate in the comment section.

No not wanting a war just what good info from users of both... if that's possible.

I have found both are well made, but if you need a custom fit Bev seems to work better without alterations. That being said, if you fall fast, you will want more drag, so having a tight exact fit is far less of an issue.

I have seen well-made Tony suits, and I have seen Bev make a baggy suit for a 5'8 260 pound guy which made little olf me go low on exit on him so it worked really well!

If you have a local dropzone, see which they recommend - having someone used to measuring for a particular brand and knowing exactly what they want for size makes a lot of difference.

I will say - do NOT measure yourself. Get someone at the DZ who measures people regularly to measure you....

I'm about the same size as you. As per recommendation of a 4-way belly coach I was going to get a Tony Suit--I am sure it would have been a great suit, but when I realized it was going to take 19 weeks (!) to get it and I would basically be without a belly suit for the entire season and Bev was going to get my suit ready in 10 days(!) so I could take it to an event in Eloy I was signed up for (yes, for a double-rush charge, but that was so worth it!) ...well, the decision became easy.

I do not regret buying the suit at all. I had no fall-rate issues with anyone I jumped with. Looks like I could regulate the fall rate really easily (I ordered after-burners and the Magic Booties as well as a bit extra "wing" between my forearms and sides of the body--also swoop cords, but never actually used those)

Absolutely happy with the suit! Just make sure you use plenty of shoe-goo if you get booties, so they last!

Are you looking to start a brand war?! Seriously, both are very well built.

I bought 1 bev suit. Lasted less than 2 season. Went back to Tony, well onto my 3 season with this suit and probably will last a couple more. YMMV.
Remster

Oh my. You might try going on a car forum and asking "Which oil is best?"

I have no experience with Bev personally, but the ones I've seen are very nice and seem to be well made.

I currently have 2 Tonys (Tonies?) that I jump. RW and hybrid. I have a 3rd (RW) that blew out a sleeve that I have to decide what to do with.

Both of the RWs were given to me, and are well used. The sleeve blew due to age and wear, not because it was defective.
I got the hybrid off the rack at Summerfest back in 09 (35% discount :)
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Tony. Others may have had different experiences.

Disclaimer: Lucy at Tony is a friend. And I have a crush on Flora :$

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hunterbeav

I'm 6ft 220lbs and fall pretty fast...I'm mostly doing RW jumping...seems to me that the Tony would give me a slower fall rate...I was looking at the tony original compared to the bev competition....any thoughts...is the bev built better then the Tony or vis a versa

Apples and oranges. The Bev comp is the same as the Tony Pit Special, not the Tony original.

The Tony original is the slowest. If you want to slow down more, get the comp grippers, inside thigh grippers, mega booties in cordura or ballistic nylon (don't get the Airspeed mega booties unless you are an accomplished flyer), and for the slowest of slow get the lined arms and legs option.

Get these options in any combination you like. The more of these you add, the slower you will fall.

Have an experienced dealer take your measurements. Fit is everything and suits are expensive.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Cool..thanks for all the input....I ordered a bev competition suit with polycotten fabric, lined, lose fit option, and they suggested 2" wings got double rush on the order, should get it in 2 weeks...I'll post a review in a couple mths. Again thanks to all your responses.

faulknerwn

I've got a Bev suit that I have had going on 20 years now. Had to replace booties but its still my main suit....

Is there any one manufacturer that's known for good bootie construction? I have a Vertical Loose RW suit and the booties started falling apart at the toes after 70 jumps, even though I always take them off under the canopy. I put some reinforcement in those areas myself, which has held up over the last two seasons, but I'm looking for alternatives for my next suit.