jeffrey27rj

D license able to jump with students?

I think I heard something about this before but was curious as to what the rules were. I have a coach rating but likely will be letting it lapse here soon. I enjoy being able to give back when I can but I've been too busy with team training to do many coach jumps this last year. With a D license, are you allowed to jump with a student off AFF but not yet with their A license? I figure I couldn't sign anything off their progression card without the rating but could help them work on stuff? Is that a rule or maybe I just heard about it somewhere and it was a DZ specific rule that allowed it. Thanks!
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

From the BSR's in the SIM

6. Students training for group freefall [S]
a. Student freefall training for group freefall jumps
must be conducted by either a USPA Coach
under the supervision of a USPA Instructor, or a
D-license holder, and;
b. The maximum group size allowed for any group
skydive is four if that group includes any solo students
cleared for self-supervision. There must be
at least one instructor, coach or D-license holder
for each student involved.

Blue Skies

great, thanks. So sounds like I could do one on one work with them. I'm assuming that wouldn't make me eligible to sign off on their progression card though.....or else once you have your D license you wouldn't need a coach rating to do any coach jumps really and it would be a pointless rating.

Interesting that you could do a 4 way with two students and 2 D license holders though as that still puts 2 students not yet cleared with an A license on a jump together responsible for tracking away efficiently. Not sure how I feel about that one.
*If you fail to plan, you plan to fail*
*It's not flair, it's flare*
*Please use "your" and "you're" responsibly*

jeffrey27rj

Interesting that you could do a 4 way with two students and 2 D license holders though as that still puts 2 students not yet cleared with an A license on a jump together responsible for tracking away efficiently. Not sure how I feel about that one.

There are many things that are allowed by the rule book that are still dictated on a case-by-caase basis on the drop zone and this would/should be one of them.

Just as things like acceptable wing loading, maximum winds, and minimum deployment altitudes are flexible (within the USPA guidelines) based on a student's abilities, whether or not to allow a student to conduct group jumps should follow that same model.

I think it should be assumed that a qualifier for group jumps would be the student's ability to track and clear the air properly.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

jeffrey27rj

I think I heard something about this before but was curious as to what the rules were. I have a coach rating but likely will be letting it lapse here soon. I enjoy being able to give back when I can but I've been too busy with team training to do many coach jumps this last year. With a D license, are you allowed to jump with a student off AFF but not yet with their A license? I figure I couldn't sign anything off their progression card without the rating but could help them work on stuff? Is that a rule or maybe I just heard about it somewhere and it was a DZ specific rule that allowed it. Thanks!

Actually, keeping your Coach rating current is not as difficult as some may think. Definition of a Coach Jump, from the USPA SIM: "A Coach jump is any jump where a USPA Coach jumps with any person and provides instruction and/or critique to that person". You need not jump with a student to count it as a Coach jump. I am very familiar with this definition as I wrote it.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director

jeffrey27rj

great, thanks. So sounds like I could do one on one work with them. I'm assuming that wouldn't make me eligible to sign off on their progression card though.....or else once you have your D license you wouldn't need a coach rating to do any coach jumps really and it would be a pointless rating.

You think that 2 students in a 4 way is scary? Prior to this recent change (within the last year) a Coach, or Instructor, could take as many students on a group jump as he chose. He literally could take 99 students with him for a 100 way.

Mike Mullins

michaelmullins

You think that 2 students in a 4 way is scary? Prior to this recent change (within the last year) a Coach, or Instructor, could take as many students on a group jump as he chose. He literally could take 99 students with him for a 100 way.

Mike Mullins

I suppose this is why I love you.B|
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess