heavision

good DZ tent?

I don't know how long you expect it to last. For UV polyester is better then nylon. I would advise draping a tarp over it during the day. Two person is more then big enough. I think you will be happier with a lighter two season tent. By that I mean one with more mesh and ventilation. You can stay warm but sweating is a bitch. Make your own ground cloth and leak seal the tent it. Pick the best high ground you can find. Nuke it for bugs. Beyond that I'd look for the cheapest thing I could find on sale. You probable won't have any problem setting guy lines So a cheaper non free standing is fine. One thing I really like in a tent is a large high ceiling vestibule that you can cook in. A back door so you don't have to go in and out through the vest is nice. Get a cheep camp chair that doubles as a second ground mat. It's nice to be able to set up and read or cook. Get a good solar light that you can hang above and have shine down to cook or read.

You can get a five gallon paint bucket and screw on lids that make great bug proof pantries for food at home depot.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Yeah I plan on covering it during the day as I'll be leaving it up for days at a time. And to keep cool I plan on having access to electricity and rocking a little fan--I worry about being too hot. I'm ok with spartan living, I just want to keep cool, dry and as bug-free as possible!

For not so spartan living...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IQU7WY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ME985E8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R57LSXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8NP090/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WRRJZCN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good for several days of fan and light and multiple movies.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

I don't know if you have ever spent a night in a tent with 50 mph gust in a thunderstorm but having a good tent is definitely a requirement.Bigger is always better if your not backpacking. A full coverage rain fly will keep you dry and in good weather you can pull it back and sleep under the stars. Depends on how many nights you plan on but if you divide the price by the number of nights you can justify quality. I have had good success with Marmot tents. Here is a good example...
https://www.cabelas.com/product/null/2482084.uts?slotId=0
Nothing worse than sleeping in a wet sleeping bag...

A bigger tent allows of a twin size air mattress also.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

This is in my wheelhouse. Lots of time in grade. My suggestions are get a bigger tent. For me a 4 man tent fits a queen size air mattress with room for a couple storage totes inside. Also you will have a much more comfortable camp. If you also get one of the 10 by 10 or 12 by 12 ez up type shade canopy’s academy sports sells a good model for under $100 bucks. Got one on sale last year for $69.99 tuck the entrance of the tent into the edge of the shade canopy attach a tarp to the canopy with bungee balls bring it over your tent. You’ll appreciate having and area to stand up and walk around. And keeping the entrance dry. Invest in the most comfortable camp chair you can find. I recommend the Coleman max 300 lb rated chair.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

You can go with a house but I'm comfortable in some thing much smaller I'd recommend some this...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/camping/tents-shelters/backpacking-expedition-tents/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/104303880/alps-mountaineering-hydrus-tent/2495809.uts?slotId=13

It's a cheep low end tent but it has some important things like a real vestibule that is high enough to cook in, if you plan on doing that. Most tents need a little work. I'd recommend adding extra tie downs around the skirt. An extra one in between on each gap. It lets you stretch it out better and improves your air flow. You can add as many extra guy lines as you want and your car makes a good wind break but the safest thing to do with any tent is to pull it down in a real storm. Pull the poles and drop it flat or at least pull the vestibule.

There are even more options at wallmart for a third the price. Buy 2 and when one wears out just swap it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

Oh I’m definitely not saying you have to buy high end everything I suggested can be had at Walmart for $300 or less. I have had really good luck. With their ozark trail 30 second set up tents. I still say some sort of shade canopy that you can stand up straight under and a comfortable chair makes all the difference in the world. A shade canopy can be as simple and cheap as a length of rope a couple of trees and a $20 tarp. I will also say you will never regret investing in good tent stakes. The flimsy coat hanger size ones that come with the tent are worse than useless
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'm fond of things like this.

https://www.rei.com/product/783805/rei-co-op-trail-chair

It's nice to be able to set up in your tent and when you're ready to crash you just pop the sides and it becomes a second ground pad. You can also get a cheep stadium seat kind of thing that is like this. It's more comfortable because it's more ridged but it can ware on the floor of your tent. It's nice to be able to hang out in your bug shelter.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

RiggerLee

You can go with a house

Spent 15 days straight at Lost Prairie in Montana after 12 days at EAA Air Venture in Wisconsin last summer. Its really nice to be able to put your pants on standing up....
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

lost P Camp.jpg

A lot depends on whether you're looking to just stay dry at night or if you desire a nylon hotel room for safety meetings.

If you just want to reliably stay dry at night, then watch REI clearance sales for a 2-person backpacking tent. For summer in the midwest, you'll want lots of mesh panels, a ground cloth, and a rain fly that can be quickly installed when half-asleep. I'd also recommend a vestibule. Besides a tent, I'd recommend an inflatable sleeping mat, most of the comfort of an air mattress, with little of the bulk.

If you'd prefer a nylon hotel room, head to Walmart.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

There has been a lot of good advice in this thread, so I'll add my own. I concur with the idea of getting a tent you can stand up in. Make sure you have a full rain fly. My preference is 4 person. I would highly recommend an enclosed Vestibule that is separate from the "main" living area. I use this area for food storage. That way if bugs figure out how to get into your food, you don't have bugs in your main tent.

My tent is several years old so it is obsolete. But I've had good luck with Kelty tents. Something similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Frontier-4-Person-Canvas-Tent/dp/B005W1FXX6/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&qid=1525192972&sr=8-65&keywords=kelty+tents

2 questions that would be important are:

How much time do you plan on spending in the tent/what do you plan on doing in there?

How much stuff will you have in the tent with you?

I camp out Friday & Saturday nights at the DZ. All I do in the tent is sleep, and all I have in there with me is a backpack with my clothes and personal stuff.
Jump gear stays in the hangar (it's locked & alarmed at night, everyone leaves their stuff in there - not something that is safe at all DZs).

Food either stays in the car (non-perishable) or in the 'food fridge' at the DZ, again, it's something everyone does and it is ok to do so... At that DZ.

So I have a little 3 man dome tent. I got it as Gander was closing, so it was cheap. Gander Mtn branded, made in China.

A similar one by Coleman popped up on a search:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000007828-Parent-Sundome-Person-Tent/dp/B01D9EQ0VQ

It suits my needs. I put it up in the shade of a nearby hangar (mostly shaded anyway), have been through some pretty stiff winds (largely sheltered by the hangar I'm next to and another nearby), torrential downpours (stayed totally dry inside), and some chilly temps. Down into the 30s. I have a fairly warm sleeping bag and a spare wool (real wool) blanket. Cold as all hell getting out of bed in the morning, but nice and toasty in the bag.

The tent did quite well, but it was only used 8 weekends last summer. The fabric is still in nice shape. No fading or damage that I can see.
I was using three layers of foam rubber packing mat (the interlocking 1/2" thick stuff) as a sleeping pad. It was better than nothing, but not by much. Upgraded to an air mattress this year (twin sized).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo