Rhino4406

Wings Vision

What do you mean? It has a manual reserve deployment option in case you change your mind, nothing wrong with that. :ph34r:

Jokes aside I've heard a lot of complaints and incidents regarding their containers so I dismissed them from my gear purchase list.

Get a properly sized container with a properly sized reserve and you will like your purchase. Get it with the Boost option also. On my reserve ride I thought my reserve didn't come out because it happened so fast thanks to the boost.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

Packing the reserve sucks. The freebag shape is the least like the container shape of any container I've packed. Takes a lot of pounding and kneading to get the freebag fully into place to not waste closing loop length going through the freebag grommet. And the flap and bag design make it difficult to close the container to look neat. There's a very narrow range of closing loop sizes between "can't close this, too tight" and "looks ugly with pilot chute fabric visible". So there's more work involved in getting the flaps and pilot chute worked down to be able to close the rig. More fun when one packs the same rig in humid summer vs. dry winter.

Jumpers sometimes apologize when they bring a Wings to their rigger. "Sorry, it's a Wings..." Even if they loved buying the Wings because the price was good.

Some also think the 'pocketing' of the freebag is excessive, that the freebag is held into place both at the bottom and top of the container more than it needs to, leading to higher extraction forces if the pilot chute is pulling less directly away from the rig.

And there's the pilot chute, which is one with relatively little mesh, and is considered to be relatively low drag (unless in a burble on its side, where it may be better). The latest pilot chutes from the company apparently have more mesh, but its not something they have mentioned publicly.

But lots of people have Wings and they're fine with that.

Rhino4406

Anyone have any info on Why I've just read that "Wings" container are bad containers? I'm having a Wings Vision built right now, and im o a week into it and thinking of going to a different container if they are that bad? any input would appreciated

Did you choose it because you like the look, because someone recommended it, or because it is cheaper than other containers? Riggers don't care for them too much, not because they are difficult to pack, but because they are difficult to make look nice. (pilot chute cap seated cleanly)

They are not "bad", but there are better systems. You pay less and you get somewhat less. At resale time there will be less demand and less money back to you. I'm not a believer that there is a problem with timely reserve deployment despite the video. I have many customers who jump them and have packed many.

There is some unjustified hysteria around them. I would advise you to ignore it. If you are the kind of person who just can't ignore the crowd of people who really don't know better but spout off opinions anyway then get something else. I have confidence in them and would jump one any day. But if you don't feel confident yourself then you should not.

No i dont care really about crowd opinion, and The wings being a bit cheaper did play into my decision im not ganna lie, but my dealer didn't mention anything regarding a bad reputation and I actually passed on the "used Main" the guy had lined up for me and with that $ I was ganna use toward the used main, I went with some custom options with that $ so I'm not a cheapo, but I was just going off my dealer recommendation. I needed a container big enough for a 210-230 and thats what he recommended. Also, the wings container i got is the new "Wings Vision"... which i think is a new version of their system. I have the reserve boost MARD option on it, so that will help with the reserve deployment,

Rhino4406

I see what you are talking, but I've got it come with the reserve boost MARD -- so that will help with that situation not happening.. but could it be that the pilot chute is bad instead of the container? If so, what PC would you recommend?

The video that is posted in this thread is 6 years old. The pilot chute has been redesigned and since then, I have not heard of or seen any video of a reserve pilot chute issue.

Wings are great containers for their build quality/price.

Rhino4406

I see what you are talking, but I've got it come with the reserve boost MARD -- so that will help with that situation not happening..

Assuming the MARD works. And how about a total or a pilot chute in tow? In those two scenarios the MARD doesn't come into play, and the main is still in place which can make the reserve container extra snug during reserve deployment.

but could it be that the pilot chute is bad instead of the container? If so, what PC would you recommend?

I recommend only using a pilot chute approved by the manufacturer that built the rig. Using anything else is experimenting with your last chance. I don't much about the TSO regulations, but it might also void the TSO, making it illegal to jump (in the US).

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Rhino4406

I see what you are talking, but I've got it come with the reserve boost MARD -- so that will help with that situation not happening.. but could it be that the pilot chute is bad instead of the container? If so, what PC would you recommend?

Reserve pilot chutes are a part of the TSO'd system and can only be replaced with the correct manufacturer supplied part with the correct part number. Because you are new to this you have a lack of knowledge. I can see you are trying hard to gain some and this is a good thing. I will repeat, some people with a similar lack of knowledge are saying things about the Wings system that are not justified. The system is tested to the appropriate TSO standard and is proven to work. There are no documented injuries resulting from any perceived or real deficiencies in the Wings pilot chute or any other part of the Wings system.

MARDS are generally a good thing. But they do not replace the need for an effective pilot chute. In the case of a total malfunction the system must be able to deploy the reserve with no cutaway and with all the side flaps and riser covers closed up tight.

Given that lots of malfunctions are low speed reserve deployments, it is still a valid concern
And certainly an expectation that the pilot chute is going to extract the reserve bag. And in a timely fashion.

Not bashing on the Wings container, I have pilot chute in tow on reserves before, on tandems, on my own gear, and I do not actually give a shit what the excuse is, the gear did not do its job. Seconds matter. altitude matters. Too many dead skydivers here to be making excuses.

Nothing pisses me off more when you take a concern to a manufacturer, (more and more with documented video) and you still (decades later) get to hear similar excuses for why shit does not work.

The gear is supposed to work. We demand it. Especially in urgent situations

tkhayes

Given that lots of malfunctions are low speed reserve deployments, it is still a valid concern
And certainly an expectation that the pilot chute is going to extract the reserve bag. And in a timely fashion.

Not bashing on the Wings container, I have pilot chute in tow on reserves before, on tandems, on my own gear, and I do not actually give a shit what the excuse is, the gear did not do its job. Seconds matter. altitude matters. Too many dead skydivers here to be making excuses.

Nothing pisses me off more when you take a concern to a manufacturer, (more and more with documented video) and you still (decades later) get to hear similar excuses for why shit does not work.

Wings listened and they changed the reserve PC design.

LeeroyJenkins

***Given that lots of malfunctions are low speed reserve deployments, it is still a valid concern

What about all of the legacy equipment? 6 years of new pilotchute does not cover off a large fleet of 6+ year old Wings containers in the field.

dgw

******Given that lots of malfunctions are low speed reserve deployments, it is still a valid concern

What about all of the legacy equipment? 6 years of new pilotchute does not cover off a large fleet of 6+ year old Wings containers in the field.

They are all irrelevant to this thread about a new 2018 wings container.

I cannot see how can you save money purchasing a Wings container.

I've compared the prices of a new container on scrisc.com

Wings 2,565$ (reserve boost, both handles pillows, free fly tab, spacer foam, hip rings, stainless steel, collapsible pilot chute)

Vector 2,708$ (skyhook, both handles pillows, free fly tab, spacer foam, hip rings, stainless steel, collapsible pilot chute)

Wings charges ridicolous extras like collapsible pc and stainless steel.

Maddingo

I cannot see how can you save money purchasing a Wings container.

I've compared the prices of a new container on scrisc.com

Wings 2,565$ (reserve boost, both handles pillows, free fly tab, spacer foam, hip rings, stainless steel, collapsible pilot chute)

Vector 2,708$ (skyhook, both handles pillows, free fly tab, spacer foam, hip rings, stainless steel, collapsible pilot chute)

Wings charges ridicolous extras like collapsible pc and stainless steel.

Go compare it to a Javelin. Very similar design.

I'm a small time jumper compared to most people here, but I've been jumping my wings from mid to late 2014. Not had any issues with mine. I had it designed for a 190/190. I pack a pilot 210 and smart 190 in it. I like it and it's the only rig I've owned to date. I plan to keep it for a long time and customized it with that in mind. The latter was a major reason why I decided to buy my first harness new instead of used. I've not had a reserve ride on yet so no comments there.

It was a great price and that definitely factored into my decision. I got it fully loaded with options, custom fitted to me, and designed for $2,100 (that includes a 50% off gift certificate on the harness price).

I know of a lot of people that jump them including some of my friends. As gowlerk has been saying, you're fine.

skyfox2007

I don't think it matters which container this jumper would have used. If you roll onto your back during the deployment sequence - be it a wings, vector II, or what have you - your d/free bag may not extract cleanly.

-JD-

The argument I have seen is that the rpc should be strong enough to right the jumper. Which is ridiculous.