Westerly

Cellular/ GPS Tracker for Canopy?

I was looking at getting a cellular tracker for my canopy and putting it in the D bag to make it easier to find after a cutaway. Anyway, I dont know of any skydiving specific device so I was looking at pet trackers and things of the sort.

One option I learned about is Ping

https://pinggps.com/

Has anyone used anything similar? I am not looking for a Bluetooth tracker, I am looking for something that uses cellular, GPS or some other option that can be tracked from miles away.

Does anyone have more detailed tech specs on this? My DZ does not have GSM cellular service. Only CDMA. Our DZO had invested heavily in the Iota trackers which worked perfectly until the company went under. I'm keeping my ears open for similar solutions.

How does tracker maintain communication with your smartphone without LTE? I would imagine that a cutaway canopy would be too far away to maintain contact via bluetooth. Just wondering as I was interested in creating something like this to track skydivers in the event of off-airport landings. My idea involved Android smartwatches with LTE service, but I gave up on pursuing it any further after calculating how much it would cost.

megamalfunction

How does tracker maintain communication with your smartphone without LTE? I would imagine that a cutaway canopy would be too far away to maintain contact via bluetooth. Just wondering as I was interested in creating something like this to track skydivers in the event of off-airport landings. My idea involved Android smartwatches with LTE service, but I gave up on pursuing it any further after calculating how much it would cost.

It doesent. If you dont have cellular service the thing is a brick. You shouldent need LTE though. I checked with Ping and they said the device will work on 2G.

Westerly

***How does tracker maintain communication with your smartphone without LTE? I would imagine that a cutaway canopy would be too far away to maintain contact via bluetooth. Just wondering as I was interested in creating something like this to track skydivers in the event of off-airport landings. My idea involved Android smartwatches with LTE service, but I gave up on pursuing it any further after calculating how much it would cost.

It doesent. If you dont have cellular service the thing is a brick. You shouldent need LTE though. I checked with Ping and they said the device will work on 2G.

Incase of yepzon you only need enough cellular service to send the gps-coordinates to your phone...

Gimped

For areas with no cellular coverage, Marco polo tracker is a self contained wireless system with a supposed 2 mile range. The tracker is only 14g...I use it on a drone.

Thanks for the information on MarcoPolo. I had been wondering why no one had mentioned strictly RF systems. Why pay for a subscription to anything?

Some people may say that 2 miles is not far enough, but it should be for a regular cutaway. If you are doing Canopy Formation work and you wrap and cutaway up high it might be an issue, but for most people that should be far enough.

Gimped

For areas with no cellular coverage, Marco polo tracker is a self contained wireless system with a supposed 2 mile range. The tracker is only 14g...I use it on a drone.

Sure, but those have short battery lives. You have to charge them every few weeks.

Blis

Here's how I've attached mine. Reserve slink between canopy top attachment and bridle, hook the yepzon on it...

So far it has lasted two seasons without any problems...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0CVT0c-vl5cWNOMkR6XzVUR2s

I am curious how likely you are to break the thing when packing it. It's not as much that I care about breaking the GPS as much as if the battery were to fail and leak you would have to replace your whole main, container and even possibly your reserve. Curious how likely that is to happen.

Westerly

***Here's how I've attached mine. Reserve slink between canopy top attachment and bridle, hook the yepzon on it...

So far it has lasted two seasons without any problems...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_0CVT0c-vl5cWNOMkR6XzVUR2s

I am curious how likely you are to break the thing when packing it. It's not as much that I care about breaking the GPS as much as if the battery were to fail and leak you would have to replace your whole main, container and even possibly your reserve. Curious how likely that is to happen.

I know of two cases where the case has developed a crack, but both of them were installed in pouches inside the d-bag. In my method you just tuck the yepzon between the folds before putting the canopy in d-bag... My yepzon is still pristine...

(edited)

I have a Yepzon one 2.0. Which was great. Kid just the job. But it stopped working in February. After contacting Yepzon several times. I have finally had a response from the legal firm dealing with yepzon’s bankruptcy since mid February. So seems that a Yepzon is just a brick now. 
anyone recommend a different device that does the same thing ?

Edited by Hotsauce22

20 hours ago, Hotsauce22 said:

I have a Yepzon one 2.0. Which was great. Kid just the job. But it stopped working in February. After contacting Yepzon several times. I have finally had a response from the legal firm dealing with yepzon’s bankruptcy since mid February. So seems that a Yepzon is just a brick now. 
anyone recommend a different device that does the same thing ?

Apple Air Tag?

My wife has a tracker for her dog.  It is about 3/4 inch x 1 inch x 1.5 inch.  She can use her cell phone and track his location from any where.  She was overseas last week and could tell where he was within a few feet.  It came with a charger and needs to be recharged every few days.

• Like 1