Westerly

Longest anyone's gone without a cutaway?

30 years this year. 2300 and change. No cutaways. Close, but no. Way too much of an asshole to admit that some of that shit shouldn't have been flown.
DOOG
Muff 846
All you people are here to make sure I have a good time.

Deimian

***I landed twice under a torn canopy, but each time, it was playable.
[...]
If you pack soundly and always open face down, there's no reason to to cutaway.

I couldn't disagree more with your last statement. Particularly when considering the first sentence. You are basically saying that a torn canopy is not a reason to cut away. What the hell?

I understand that with a Zero loaded at 0.77 a rip on a cell is survivable. Now, imagine a novice jumper with a regular canopy reading this, being afraid of cutting away, and having a torn canopy. Does it sound like reasonable advice to you? I can't believe an instructor wrote that.
?

It depends. I've torn 3 tandem canopies, landed all 3 of them. Maybe your DZ trains differently, but we train new jumpers to do a controllability check. If it's steerable and safely landable, why cut it away? A tear doesn't automatically mean a cutaway is required, but many times it is necessary. Depends on many factors.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

linebckr83

******I landed twice under a torn canopy, but each time, it was playable.
[...]
If you pack soundly and always open face down, there's no reason to to cutaway.

I couldn't disagree more with your last statement. Particularly when considering the first sentence. You are basically saying that a torn canopy is not a reason to cut away. What the hell?

I understand that with a Zero loaded at 0.77 a rip on a cell is survivable. Now, imagine a novice jumper with a regular canopy reading this, being afraid of cutting away, and having a torn canopy. Does it sound like reasonable advice to you? I can't believe an instructor wrote that.
?

It depends. I've torn 3 tandem canopies, landed all 3 of them. Maybe your DZ trains differently, but we train new jumpers to do a controllability check. If it's steerable and safely landable, why cut it away? A tear doesn't automatically mean a cutaway is required, but many times it is necessary. Depends on many factors.

Most torn canopies are landable and get landed safely. You will not even know you have a torn canopy unless it happens to be a large tear on the bottom skin. You can't see torn ribs or a torn topskin. That's why controllability checks are needed on every jump.