Sabrekakkonen

How to make a barrel roll with canopy?

Sabrekakkonen

Hi, what is the best way to do barrel roll with semi lightly loaded canopy? (Wl1.2~1.4).

Rears seems to be pretty powerful, but one canopy coach said that its dangerous to do agressive turns with rears.

Don't try it. You need to be on a high performance canopy and have a lot of canopy time. If it's done wrong you can gift wrap yourself and become a present for the ground.

Your're much more likely to spin yourself up into line twists than "barrel roll" a lightly loaded parachute... That being said, 1.1 on a 220 is going to be close to the impossible side and 1.1 on a 107 is no problem and just about technique. My point is its not loading alone that will determine it, so how about a little more info? The wing type will play a huge part in its ability to roll, which is usually most efficient in an already accellerated state after leveling the wing to level flight or whatever plane and applying opposite harness and riser to wash the wing out and snap it around without initiating a coordinated turn. If this doesnt make sense, dont worry it will eventually.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Sabrekakkonen

Hi, what is the best way to do barrel roll with semi lightly loaded canopy? (Wl1.2~1.4).

Rears seems to be pretty powerful, but one canopy coach said that its dangerous to do agressive turns with rears.

What did the canopy coach say about you doing barrel rolls??

grimmie

***Hi, what is the best way to do barrel roll with semi lightly loaded canopy? (Wl1.2~1.4).

What did the canopy coach say about you doing barrel rolls??

I'm guessing it went something along the lines of 'you have to make a very aggressive maneuver on rear risers, and that's really dangerous. Not a good idea.'

Fortunately the internet is full of people who aren't the canopy coach, eh? [:/]

• Like 1