Ericakeeley

Downsizing for first rig

Newly licensed with 29 jumps..
I started on student navigator 220 for a few jumps, then on to the 200 for the rest.
I just ordered my first rig with the safire 169.
Not sure how to go about this transition since my DZ doesn't have any smaller rental equipment, and the other DZ I could go to is about 2.5 hours away (and jumping somewhere new scares me at this level).
Worth the drive to jump a 190 for a few weeks until my rig comes in?

*I'm a small girl and find it's harder to get equipment that fits

iranianjumper

(and jumping somewhere new scares me at this level).

that's weird , you scare jumping somewhere new , but not scare of downsizing from 200 to 170 ?
——————————————————————————-

That downsize might be huge for someone my weight (206 pounds before getting dressed), but less drastic for someone her size. She probably weights less than 130 pounds, so even the 170 square foot canopy will keep her wing-loading less than 1 to 1.

As for being scared while visiting other DZs ..... the best vaccination is a thorough briefing by a local instructor.

riggerrob

That downsize might be huge for someone my weight (206 pounds before getting dressed), but less drastic for someone her size. She probably weights less than 130 pounds, so even the 170 square foot canopy will keep her wing-loading less than 1 to 1.

As for being scared while visiting other DZs ..... the best vaccination is a thorough briefing by a local instructor.

True, but the line length differences will still likely make the 169 react much more aggressive than what she's used to. A canopy course on the 169 wouldn't be out of order, maybe combined with a canopy course on a larger canopy first.

And for visiting another DZ, it's always more fun to go there together with someone else. Try to find an experienced jumper at your home DZ to go with you to the other DZ.

I think you would be able to get a demo Pulse 190 into you new container, but just guessing since I don't know what your new container is.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Ideally you'd be able to jump someone's 190 with a similar sized harness.
Failing this you could talk to one of your instructors about connecting someone else's 190 to your container and taking it for a couple of jumps.

At the end of the day it's always best to talk to your instructors as they will be able to give you the best advice for your skill level!
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 2:54 AM, riggerrob said:

so even the 170 square foot canopy will keep her wing-loading less than 1 to 1.

So what? Why are people so hung up on wingloading 1 to 1 for novices?
So if you're 120lbs exit weight a Katana 120 is good to go?
Current canopy handling skills, type of canopy and how current you plan to stay is far more important than wingloading.