Judah

Got my first pair of wings today...

Graduated the Army's Basic Airborne Course with 8 jumps (3, an injury and almost 6 months recovery, then back and all 5 required jumps again).

Pretty excited about working in more jumps on the military side, but am also curious as to whether I'd be able to jump static line on the civilian side now? The T-11 lands a little hard for my liking (I weigh 200 pounds), and I was hoping someone could tell me what the rate of descent might be for a civilian static line chute?

I'm interested in freefall, but am hoping to get trained through the military vice going straight for an AFF course. :)

A lot of people on here have a military background and static line experience under rounds. Sadly beside the general mindset and determination those skills beside a proper plf aren‘t worth much in a normal skydiving environment.
Even civilian static line training is completely different from equipment to exit and canopy/ landing. So coming to a dz with your military static line certificate won‘t get you anywhere near a plane door to jump out of.

The T11 is probably the slowest falling semiround you could jump, with a descent rate of 3-5m/s.
I highly encourage you to visit Germany and jump one of our T10 rounds.
You will think quite differently about your „hard“ landings under the T11 afterwards :)

Go get yourself on a military FF program. It‘s worth it!
-------------------------------------------------------

To absent friends

Some of the things that do carry over are attention to detail and your PLF training.

My PLF training has saved me from countless injuries! I've watch way to many broken/sprained joints that a simple PLF would have avoided.

Airborne!!