Mjolnir

USPA Badges

Hey guys, I'm a brand new USPA member (12 jumps) and when I registered on the site, I saw stuff about jump and freefall badges. Apparently, the USPA awards members badges for number of jumps and hours of freefall in 1,000-jump and 12-hour intervals, respectively.

My question: why? Are there gala events where USPA members wear their badges on some sort of uniform? Are there award ceremonies at drop zones where jumpers are recognized at these milestones? Do people just frame them and hang them above the mantle as conversation pieces? Why do these badges exist?

Mjolnir

Hey guys, I'm a brand new USPA member (12 jumps) and when I registered on the site, I saw stuff about jump and freefall badges. Apparently, the USPA awards members badges for number of jumps and hours of freefall in 1,000-jump and 12-hour intervals, respectively.

My question: why? Are there gala events where USPA members wear their badges on some sort of uniform? Are there award ceremonies at drop zones where jumpers are recognized at these milestones? Do people just frame them and hang them above the mantle as conversation pieces? Why do these badges exist?

Welcome to the family! The awards you are referring to are a way to recognize jumpers for reaching milestones. If the jumper likes, a presentation by a USPA board member, DZO, or family/friend can be conducted and a photo submitted to Parachutist magazine for print. Also, some people frame them for display.

Just 988 more jumps and you get one too!!!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

A thousand jumps is a lot and a big milestone. People often celebrate 100, 200, 300, etc. 1000 is then a bigger initial milestone and a reason to organize some fun jump with friends. The certificate just assigns you a number that says you were the Xth person to do it. Look in the back of parachutist when you get it, not many people have really hit those marks when you look at their associated number and compare that to the A license numbers.

You or the DZO fills out the paperwork for the award.The DZO makes a copy of your logbook showing jumps and time and sends it out to a regional director for verification and once it's been verified the USPA sends out the Award.

Mjolnir

... Are there gala events where USPA members wear their badges on some sort of uniform? Are there award ceremonies at drop zones where jumpers are recognized at these milestones? Do people just frame them and hang them above the mantle as conversation pieces? Why do these badges exist?

The mental image of 'some sort of uniform' is rather amusing.

However, I've been part of a couple club DZs where the long time members had club jackets. Reasonably decent nylon jackets with the DZ name & logo on the back, person's name and club position (president, S & TA, 'Head Troublemaker', ect) on the left chest. Several of those folks had jump & FF time pins right above the name.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo