Westerly

Why do canopy manufacturers keep using Spectra?

It seems like literally the worst possible choice for a canopy. The lines can go hugely out of trim, the material is fairly slippery (which theoretically could encourage a quick drop of the slider when you dont want it), and it's completely inelastic.

If low bulk is the goal, why not use Vectran or HMA? What does Spectra do that the other two dont? Vectran and especially HMA dont go wickedly out of trim like Spectra does, but offer most of the same benefits. I think someone said that Spectra lasts longer, but it doesent last longer if the canopy goes way out of trim. Even if the lines were in perfect condition you would still need to replace them if they are too far out of trim. It seems like HMA is the most superior line choice at the moment.

What does Spectra do that the other two dont?

Resist wear and UV light damage. It is far less likely to break when worn. Line choice is full of compromises. Some, especially larger lightly loaded canopies are less affected by being out of trim.

gowlerk

Resist wear and UV light damage. It is far less likely to break when worn. Line choice is full of compromises. Some, especially larger lightly loaded canopies are less affected by being out of trim.

What he said. Spectra is the strongest and longer lasting material. Big canopies fly just fine when out of trim. That's why you don't see spectra in smaller canopies, proper trim is key. In the middle range it is all a matter of preference. It is a trade off between durability and dimensional stability. If you are ok flying a wing that is not in its optimal shape, but you appreciate the peace of mind of the higher endurance of spectra, you use spectra. If you are diligent with maintenance and take care of your lines, and want your canopy to fly the the best it can, then you'd use HMA or Vectran.

Deimian

What he said. Spectra is the strongest and longer lasting material. Big canopies fly just fine when out of trim. That's why you don't see spectra in smaller canopies, proper trim is key. In the middle range it is all a matter of preference. It is a trade off between durability and dimensional stability. If you are ok flying a wing that is not in its optimal shape, but you appreciate the peace of mind of the higher endurance of spectra, you use spectra. If you are diligent with maintenance and take care of your lines, and want your canopy to fly the the best it can, then you'd use HMA or Vectran.

All the line materials last about the same, the difference is that spectra goes out of trim and others tend to break. Just because the line doesn't break does not mean it should not be replaced. NO line set is good for 500 jumps or more, reality is that around 400 jumps is the most you should do on a single line set...

Blis

All the line materials last about the same, the difference is that spectra goes out of trim and others tend to break. Just because the line doesn't break does not mean it should not be replaced. NO line set is good for 500 jumps or more, reality is that around 400 jumps is the most you should do on a single line set...

That really doesn't make sense at all. You can easily get 1000 jumps out of spectra (depending on the size of course)....not broken and canopy flying just fine. The openings might suck a bit but if the jumper is happy as a clam...then the lines are fine. HMA?....will just not last that long and will break. Big difference.
my pics & stuff!

Interesting, I would not push beyond 500 on any type of lines. Max 400-500 jumps and they are gone. Why would you risk it? I've seen one pair of 500lb vectrans break at around 400 in the air not long ago and it was a sub terminal deployment. Fck that, just change them.

linestretch

***All the line materials last about the same, the difference is that spectra goes out of trim and others tend to break. Just because the line doesn't break does not mean it should not be replaced. NO line set is good for 500 jumps or more, reality is that around 400 jumps is the most you should do on a single line set...

That really doesn't make sense at all. You can easily get 1000 jumps out of spectra (depending on the size of course)....not broken and canopy flying just fine. The openings might suck a bit but if the jumper is happy as a clam...then the lines are fine. HMA?....will just not last that long and will break. Big difference.

My reasoning behind this? Out of trim canopy is more likely to malfunction during the opening and/or high turbulence scenarios... I'd rather change my line set than risk a hard opening or collapsing canopy...

Also I like my canopies to fly like intended, not out of trim.