LemmingBoy

Does this look infected to you? - Discoloration after storage

I pulled my rig out of storage and its got some discoloration (pic attached).

I'm going to have a rigger look at this, but I am trying to determine if I should bother buying a new AAD before bringing it to an expert.

A short hiatus turned into a 7 years of not jumping. Didn't mean to stop jumping so long, otherwise I would have sold my gear. Everything stayed fully packed and in a gear bag the entire time.

I pulled it out of storage and the container is discolored, especially around areas that had pressure on them from metal fittings. It also has a slightly "sticky" feeling and it smells like army equipment (it's a smell you remember).

Yes, I know that it's not great, but is it jumpable? Is there a criteria to know if it and the parachutes are good?

IMG_20180830_183507.jpg

Containers are mostly made out of nylon and polyester. Both products are fairly resistant to a wide variety of substances. Where they fail is strong acids and bases. As long as it was not exposed to something on the extreme ends of the ph scale, it's probably fine.

From the Picture you have, it does not look so bad. the best option is to bring it to a rigger to be 100% certain and before you buy another AAD

My guess is, to get your rigger to Strip everything out of the rig and then give it a good wash and clean, as per your riggers instruction or have him do it.

Rodger

there is no way to know, from a photo, whether there's a problem here. Take it to your rigger, mention where, how and for how long you've been storing it, and have it thoroughly inspected before you purchase your new AAD.

If the container made contact with some foreign substances, the canopies inside should be pull tested.

The smell, by itself, is not a problem (I think I know the barf-like smell you're talking about. I believe that's just the coatings on the back of the cordura breaking down), but your rigger will be able give you peace of mind after a good inspection.