Westerly

Collapsed Slider Still Noisy?

When I collapse my slider, the sides of the slider still flap around like crazy and are loud AF. It's actually worse with the slider collapsed than uncollapsed sometimes. Is there anyway to silence the slider altogether without stowing it behind your head?

Two words: Zip ties.

Just tie one around either side of the slider after it's collapsed to collapse it further. Bring at least 2 on every jump, in case you drop one. You wouldn't want to induce a turn by tying off one end and then dropping the second tie. Also, be careful with the hook knife when you're taking them off on the ground.

Two other words: Bluetooth speaker.

Some of these speakers are pretty compact and powerful these days. Try a few different models, maybe one will be loud enough to drown out that pesky flapping. If you have a good local rigger, maybe he/she can even sew the speaker right into the slider for you. Just make sure he/she leaves a channel open to charge it between jumps. This method will also increase your safety factor, as other canopies can hear you coming.

Westerly

When I collapse my slider, the sides of the slider still flap around like crazy and are loud AF. It's actually worse with the slider collapsed than uncollapsed sometimes. Is there anyway to silence the slider altogether without stowing it behind your head?

So why don't you just stow it behind your head? Do you loosen your chest strap under canopy?

Deimian

***get a removable one......

You'd still have to pull the rings down, at least on rears. At least that's what I see (I don't jump with an RDS)

Yes, you pull all of the rings down with a removable slider. What's the problem with that?

Crispy.

******get a removable one......

You'd still have to pull the rings down, at least on rears. At least that's what I see (I don't jump with an RDS)

Yes, you pull all of the rings down with a removable slider. What's the problem with that?

No problem from my POV, but the OP asked how to make the slider quieter without pulling it down. An RDS was suggested, but if you still have to pull the rings down then the OP hasn't found a solution yet.

I don't know why he doesn't want to pull it down though...... Nothing wrong with it IMO (quite the opposite)

Westerly

I wonder if the cords are too long between the locks and where they're sewn into to the slider. Mine has plenty of slack even when uncollapsed so talk to your rigger about the possibility of shortening those. It sounds like maybe it doesn't collapse it enough and actually makes it louder. There's no reason you should have to switch to something else, a lot of people are using these successfully.

Crispy.

******get a removable one......

The last time I tried to stow the slider I accidentally pulled a toggle in the process, and the grommets got hung up making it difficult to fix. I feel it just adds additional risk for no reward in my application. I fly a slow, large canopy as I'm getting into WS. There is no performance difference with a stowed slider for me.

Westerly

*********get a removable one......

The last time I tried to stow the slider I accidentally pulled a toggle in the process, and the grommets got hung up making it difficult to fix. I feel it just adds additional risk for no reward in my application. I fly a slow, large canopy as I'm getting into WS. There is no performance difference with a stowed slider for me.

I fly a Pilot 188 at 0.95 and can feel a difference in lift when flaring with the slider stowed. If you’re popping toggles when pulling it down, you’re either rushing too much or need to tighten your toggle stows up.

benlangfeld

************get a removable one......

I fly a Pilot 188 at 0.95 and can feel a difference in lift when flaring with the slider stowed. If you’re popping toggles when pulling it down, you’re either rushing too much or need to tighten your toggle stows up.

Really? That's interesting. My WL is 1.08 and I figured at that low of a WL the slider's position wouldent matter in the slightest. Do you think the difference is due to the fabric being out of the air steam and behind your head, or more because you're able to spread the lines and make the canopy a bit wider?

☝🏼This. The reasons to stow a collapsed slider have nothing to do with drag. It’s all about allowing your wing to flatten out a bit and getting it out of your way so you can see and use your front and rear risers without a relatively large piece of nylon getting in the way. I asked whether you loosen your chest strap because if you do but don’t stow or remove your slider, loosening the strap is pretty much useless.

@ the thread:

I have always been a little skeptical about how much difference 'flattening the wing' makes, especially for non-high performance canopies. But it is the standard answer for want of a better one.

Bringing the slider down can also change the 'feel' of the canopy, in cases where the slider is less wide and pulls the risers inward. Then there's the difference between 'dangling under the slider' vs. 'direct, widely angled connection from risers through lines to all of the canopy'. (To understand this idea, consider the extreme example of a slider 6" wide... you'd be swinging around under the slider almost suspended at a single point. Any turbulence or other canopy motions would be transmitted less directly to you; you would be less in-sync with the canopy motions.)

This 'feel' thing becomes much more noticeable if loosening the chest strap where the risers do spread. The risers no longer are spread by the canopy 'from the chest' but 'from the hip' area.

Loosening the chest strap can still have a benefit if you leave the slider up though. Loosening the chest strap won't make a docile canopy swoop, but it still allows one to move to a more upright position for landing when the canopy is flared back behind you. I've seen people with under a hundred jumps learn the technique of loosening the chest strap, and love it, allowing them to land better without almost tipping over backward. Loosening the chest strap isn't just for swoopers. (Although it should perhaps be introduced at a point where a jumper is getting comfortable as a licensed jumper, as it is a distraction after opening and increases the difficulty of finding handles in case of a canopy collision.)

Crispy.

☝🏼This. The reasons to stow a collapsed slider have nothing to do with drag. It’s all about allowing your wing to flatten out a bit and getting it out of your way so you can see and use your front and rear risers without a relatively large piece of nylon getting in the way. I asked whether you loosen your chest strap because if you do but don’t stow or remove your slider, loosening the strap is pretty much useless.

I do loosen my chest strap, but it's so I can lean forward on the landing to put my feet under me.

Once I got my lookma removable slider. I never looked back. I actually have a katana 120 slider on my crossfire 2 169 . It’s so quick and the rings hit the bottom of the riser 99% of the time. If the hang for a second my R.I. Risers are bulletproof
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .