Timxx

Roll packing technique problems/experience

Timxx

Maddingo posted in another thread the roll packing technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdXHiLWI1AM

I would like to know if there are any problems, concerns using this method? Do you use the roll pack method or has anyone experience with it?

THX and BR, Tim.

Lol, watching him do the S-fold was like watching one of those really bad infomercials.

Timxx

Maddingo posted in another thread the roll packing technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdXHiLWI1AM

I would like to know if there are any problems, concerns using this method? Do you use the roll pack method or has anyone experience with it?

THX and BR, Tim.

Hi, I have been using this pack job for more than 100ish jumps with my Pilot 132, and no one problem whatsoever so far ;) So go and try it
Safe Landings

Been psycho (roll) packing for hundreds of jumps on both standard canopies and on cross braced with no issues. It tends to slow the openings slightly and is easier to teach new jumpers than pro packing. It also packs tighter so is a lot easier to get into the D-bag and easier to close.
We have started to quit calling it psycho packing since people tend to be put off by the term and simply calling roll packing.
Have packed up to 240 student canopies and last week was helping a jumper with a mid 70’s Valkyrie that was having hard openings and it seemed to solve his problems.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

Maddingo

Interesting that you say that, I use the technique to combat new canopies and it's slippery traits.

Where did you find it difficult?

I had never seen that technique before. I have psycho packed my canopy the last ~450 jumps, so I know that pretty well. Jay Mo's technique is most interesting to me in that he rolls the canopy but manages to keep the bridle attachment point outside the roll, looks like the weight of the bag pulls the apex down and keeps it ahead of the roll as it is made.

I can imagine with a slippery canopy this method would be harder than a conventional psycho pack. Controlling the cocoon while lifting it off the floor and then rolling it up would take some getting used to. As Jay shows, keeping it tight against your body (basically using the body like a floor surface) would be key to keeping the canopy under control while it is rolled up.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Yea, you easily pull out the attachment point. But you must be careful how tight you want to pull the cocoon up to your body. If you don't roll it properly or pull it to your body too much it will start to come undone. This was my initial problem but was quickly solved. When you make the first bend you should use your fingers to deinflate and simultaneously push the material under and into the center of the roll togheter. (in video 1:06) A very important detail to successfully roll it well.