staginthesky

Pack Monkey experience anyone?

It's a gimmick. Everyone sucks at packing at first. It takes time. After about 100 pack jobs you'll be packing fine. The Monkey might help a bit at first, but once you even half-way know what you're doing you'll throw that thing in the trash. A better option is to have people show you how to pack. Like shit loads of people. I had more than two dozen people show me how to pack before I decided on the method I wanted to use. The best way to learn is through instruction and practice.

Maddingo

Just learn yourself to roll pack and you'll be fine in about 10 jumps. I don't know why people still torture themselfs with s folds. This should be the main bagging method period. Consistent openings, easy to control, fast packjobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdXHiLWI1AM

Are there any problems with that technique? Can very experienced jumpers or riggers confirm to pack this way is fine?

Yes, a lot of packers/riggers jump this around here. From a 90sqft crossbrace to a 220 Navigator. Deployments are great, noone has an issue. From my point of view, my deployments became more consistent in all aspects.

If you notice, the extraction process is a bit different in a roll packjob. There is no way an air pocket can creep up above the slider with this method, because the canopy rolls out of the bag slider first, then unwraps upwards when the slider is already well inflated. When the s fold extracts, the whole first "s" gets hit by the airstream simultaneously creating a risk that air creeps above the slider before it reaches its full inflation.

Maddingo

Just learn yourself to roll pack and you'll be fine in about 10 jumps. I don't know why people still torture themselfs with s folds. This should be the main bagging method period. Consistent openings, easy to control, fast packjobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdXHiLWI1AM

I'm a guy who prides himself on packing his own rig and owning whatever happens... That being said, even after several hundred jumps/pack jobs I'm always looking for ways to refine my work...

J MO is a SKYGOD and is going to make ANY pack style look easy! That being said I am very interested in trying this method.

Sooo, to echo a fellow jumper, pick a way and make it work! I do find that packing SLOWLY and methodically helps A LOT.

Watch EVERY pack job you can, and practice. Youtube is your friend ;)

You'll see how cotrolable zp suddenly becomes when u pack it this way. I have a canopy with 30 jumps and the material stays in place no problem. The best part is you can kneel on the material and it will stay in place, letting you use full body weight to compress it, which makes bagging even easier since you have your arms free.

I have a pack monkey. I love it. It makes my folds come out so much cleaner. People get so angry over a $25 device that I think improves my packing. Does every new jumper/packer need one? No. Can you learn to pack (and pack well) without one? Yes. Is it useful for me personally? Yes.

sedsquare

I have a pack monkey. I love it. It makes my folds come out so much cleaner. People get so angry over a $25 device that I think improves my packing. Does every new jumper/packer need one? No. Can you learn to pack (and pack well) without one? Yes. Is it useful for me personally? Yes.

Perfect solution to a non existent problem!!
But you have heard that from me before.
Just kidding as usual.... what ever works for anyone is up to them. See you and your hubby this weekend or are you going to Bamafest?
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

Westerly

It's a gimmick...

It's a lot more than a 'gimmick.'

It's a damned clever idea and a good way to hold the folded canopy in place.

I saw one for the first time back at SDC Summerfest. I watched a very experienced woman pack a brand new canopy with next to no difficulty.

It may well be a 'crutch' for new jumpers to pack 'not brand new' canopies, but it does no harm and if it helps them learn, I'm all for it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

JMHO. It is a gimmick. No offense to the creator, but I teach the AFF packing course and have for 11 years and was a full time packer for 4 years. It is all about technique. Still to this day when i am jumping and see some one struggling to put it in the bag I will usually approach and ask if I can help, and show them some very simple techniques and if they use them for the remainder of the day they usually struggle less by the end of the day and thank me and say that no one has ever shown them that before. One of my AFF packing students was a petite Japanese girl and she had to take her packing course on a BRAND NEW canopy due to the dz replacing a bunch of the old tired ones. I had to show her some different techniques to handle it, and to be mind full to keep it under control and it starts with rolling the tail before you even set it down. Then how you handle it on the ground has a lot to do with it. She had no problem and when she got her own gear, that was all brand new she again had no problem dealing with it. How you handle/manipulate it and dont over handle/fondle it makes a huge difference.

wolfriverjoe

***It's a gimmick...

It's a lot more than a 'gimmick.'

It's a damned clever idea and a good way to hold the folded canopy in place.
So are your hands. If I can learn to pack, anyone can. It used to take me two hours to pack, and even then it looked like shit. About 200 pack jobs later and packing more of a boredom than it is a challenge.