bigboysne

Shortening laterals

Before buying a used Javelin container, I e-mailed Sunpath to ask if the rig would fit me. They told me it would be a good fit except for the laterals, they were too long for me and Sunpath told me this.

"I would recommend shortening the Lateral to fit you better or at the very least use a belly band to secure it to your back in all orientations, especially if you intend to Freefly in the rig. The long lateral would allow the rig to move around on your back, which is not an ideal fit."

They could shorten the laterals for me for $150. which would make the whole rig a perfect fit for me.

My question is, does anyone have experience with a lateral adjustment and how good of a fix is that?

Thanks!

*not an expert on gear mods* BUT if Sunpath is willing to do the work, I would suggest at $150 for a rig that fits really well you have an easy decision.

As to how good the fix is, again, if Sunpath does the work, I'd expect it to be up to manufacturer's standards (good to very good).

bigboysne

how good of a fix is that?

Well, for that particular problem, a very good fix. I'd guess that it takes a fair amount of work to remove the stitching, unstuck the glued bits, cut the ends of the laterals, sandwich and glue the laterals and MLW together again, and re-stitch it. But if the glue can be removed easily and without damaging the webbing (I guess that is not really a concern since this is offered by the manufacturer) I don't see how that could be a problem.

RiggerLee

They will be peeling lose the bottom of the main tray

I didn't expect that. Why would they need to do it? What you describe sounds like replacing the laterals, instead of shortening them. I guess it depends on where are the ends of the webbing (at the MLW junction or hidden in the back)?

On a Javelin the lateral crosses the back, loops around the webbing and goes back under the back pad. To make that loop shorter you have too pull the harness, zig zag, and where the back pad is sewn down on the side too shorten it. Easiest thing to do is peal up the bottom of the tray so you can get to every thing and just replace that whole strap. You're basically taking out all the stitching through it. Why sew through the same peace of webbing? It's by far the easiest way.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Rigger Lee has described well the process.

Ask them for a new BOC while you are getting the work done. As the BOC is incorporated under the back pad as well when it comes from the factory you will end up with a mint looking piece of kit that fits you properly.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

The better it fits you the more you will like it. The two of you are going to be together for a long time. I've seen rigs out live marages. You would like for the hip junction or ring to be at the point of rotation of your leg. If it's two far forwards of that point the main lift web shift upwards and will loosen when you lift your legs, like in a sit. The rig will lift off your shoulders in a sit and that slack will allow the rig to hinge up off your back. This can range from annoying to dangerous. In the worst case you could in theory roll out the back. That has happened with a couple of badly fitting student rigs but it can happen with sport rigs if the lateral is too long or particularly if there is a lot of stagger and a small rig fits high on their back. There are people that can bend over and slide their rig off their shoulders over their head. Incut lats help with this. They do not loosen as much when the main deploys. So the measurement stays consistent.

Got to go to work.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

I saw a rig with a situation like yours. I noticed that someone had put an "S" fold in the webbing and sewn it to shorten that horizontal back strap to see if it would fit better. Not sure how legal that would be. He said he had over 250 jumps on it. I suggest you send it to the manufacturer for proper fix.

Trust me ,for the cost of $150 to do the necessary adjustment...send it to sunpath.... their work is 100% quality.... i have had a few rigging jobs done on containers and i live in the UK.... also you can't beat having work done at the factory...safe.... unless you want a $50 fix with some local rigger ..who probably will not warranty the work !...?

Their are some local riggers that sew as well if not better then the manufacturer, and you don't have to ship it back and forth. But I'll tell you this, I wouldn't do it for $150 and I'm about as cheep as they come. $150 is a smoking deal and I don't know why you wouldn't take advantage of it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

***I saw a rig with a situation like yours. I noticed that someone had put an "S" fold in the webbing and sewn it to shorten that horizontal back strap to see if it would fit better. Not sure how legal that would be. He said he had over 250 jumps on it. I suggest you send it to the manufacturer for proper fix.[/quote

-------------------------------------------------------------

That is not a "factory approved fix."

Like several other posters have recommended: mail it to Sun Path and pay the $150.
Chances are, Sun Path will send it back with a completely new lateral strap because they cannot shorten it without leaving old needle holes exposed.