netslide

New rigger

Ok guys here's a question i just recently got my senior riggers ticket, after a long process of learning to rig by apprenticing.

Now my question is what do I do from here?

I want to pack rigs and be an actual rigger but I have no idea how to get my name out there to the community and let them know I am officially open for business.

Any suggestions?

Hi net,

I have no idea how to get my name out there

Get some business cards printed: https://www.vistaprint.com/?mk=vistaprint&ad=e&crtv=283539968372&device=c&psloc=9032998&pstid=kwd-104664860&psite=mkwid%7cGcLVRUQj&iv_=__iv_p_1_a_1935593_g_401094919_w_kwd-104664860_h_9032998_ii__d_c_v__n_g_c_283539968372_k_vistaprint_m_e_l__t__e__r_1t1_vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbINJlfOVTWE8c9AwPhceeYjEUR0nQpgtcy5x1MRL4STn6QnsWR3YMWoaAgx6EALw_wcB&GP=08%2f03%2f2018+20%3a45%3a08&GPS=5131723746&GNF=0

I've used them & they are a good company to deal with.

For sport rigs; pass them out on the dz(s).

For PEP rigs; attend a local pilot meeting & pass them out.

Ted Turner: 'Early to bed, early to rise; work like hell & advertise.'

Jerry Baumchen

Join the military, become a parachute rigger and you'll pack more parachutes in a year than most riggers do in five. I once watched as a tour group came through the military paraloft pulling all the reserves on all the sport rigs. There were about 20 guys on the tour and the 'tour guide' said "hey, any of you ever pull the ripcord on a parachute?" Everyone said no, so they all strapped on a sport rig and pulled the reserve. They sat the 20 rigs down, walked out and then two guys had to repack 20 reserves.

I also once watched as 60 Airborne guys came in with their giant rounds from a static line jump. They all piled them up in the loft making a massive pile the size of a semi-truck. Then three riggers spend the next few days repacking all of them. I asked the riggers how often they had to pack all of those rounds and they said basically every week.

>Any suggestions?

Rigging is very much about trust. Once people learn to trust you they'll start using your services. You can start with your friends (who trust you already) and offer them a free repack (people love free stuff) and once their friends find out you're rigging and get an endorsement from your friend they will likely start using you as well. It will take time so you might want to keep your day job for now. ;)

your profile suggests you're near Houston. See if you can pick up a little work in the loft in on eof the busy DZs nearby - that will position you to meet customers AND to have someone knowledgeable nearby if you have questions (as you inevitably will, as a new rigger).

In my experience, if you can communicate effectively, show up on time, and make rigging your priority, you will have an advantage over many riggers -- some are splitting their time and attention between tandems, video and AFF, and many of those who rig full time are a little wonky in the way they talk with customers.

Congrats and good luck!

Right now I am currently working with my master rigger whom I apprenticed under, he has a decent flow of customers, but I am wanting to build my own loft without feeling im stealing his business. He does have me do most of his repacks for him. But i would like to make a name for myself.

Learn the other stuff he is doing. Learn how to use the harness machine and all the others. Do more with him than just repacks. You will gain the respect of the right people when they see you are more than a packer. Of course they will bring you pack jobs when they see you can do the other maintenance required.

Not really suggestions but a couple thoughts.

1) Learn to say NO. When I first got my ticket I thought I was supposed to know how to do everything and service every customer's want, no matter how stupid. I in turn did some very stupid sh*t.

2) You are in a golden age of rigging information availability. What I would have given to have this forum available to me when I had "is the bad/ok" decisions to make. Make use of it.