Zoso

Reserve packing data card - what pen to use?

I've always prided my Fisher Space Pen to write on anything, but it has found it's match. The wax-like treatment on most reserve packing data cards mocks my Space Pen, and all other pens I have at home.

What pen will write nicely on this fiendish paper? Specifics please (brand, model, where to buy...)

Thanks!

I use Ultra Fine Point Sharpies, commonly available.
The ink spreads a bit much if one presses too hard, but overall I prefer that over the uncertainty of ball point pens. Often with a ballpoint I had to 'prime' them by scribbling on paper first, before marking the Tyvek.

But haven't compared the Sharpie to fancier ballpoints like that Zebra.

Ultra fine sharpie is what I've used. A light touch and a few minutes to dry before handling are a good idea.

Someone has said that the pens AirTec gives out (CYPRES Logo) are also good. Don't know, haven't tried it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

How about we just dispence with the Tyvek card and use paper that we can write on with a simple pen? Does Tyvek really add that much to the usefulness of the card?

Heck, I have paper cards that have lasted for many years, and with no smearing of the ink.

Why Tyvek anyway? Is it moisture that people are worried about? If so, the rig is being exposed to even more moisture. A card is supposed to be in a nice protective pocket.

You don't have to use a card supplied by the manufacturer.

You don't have to use a Tyvek card.

You don't have to use a pre-printed card -- you could just write the required stuff on the back of your business card.

--Mark

peek

How about we just dispence with the Tyvek card and use paper that we can write on with a simple pen? Does Tyvek really add that much to the usefulness of the card?

Heck, I have paper cards that have lasted for many years, and with no smearing of the ink.

Why Tyvek anyway? Is it moisture that people are worried about? If so, the rig is being exposed to even more moisture. A card is supposed to be in a nice protective pocket.

Because a Tyvek card survives when I forget to remove it and wash the container.

mark

You don't have to use a card supplied by the manufacturer. You don't have to use a Tyvek card. You don't have to use a pre-printed card -- you could just write the required stuff on the back of your business card.

Yep, that is what I do. I had cards printed many years ago, and have not yet run out of them. Unfortunately, so many riggers and dropzones now think that information besides that of the reserve must be present on the card, that I kind of have given up, and just use the preprinted cards available.

I guess I'll design a new card whenever I run out.

peek

***You don't have to use a card supplied by the manufacturer. You don't have to use a Tyvek card. You don't have to use a pre-printed card -- you could just write the required stuff on the back of your business card.

Yep, that is what I do. I had cards printed many years ago, and have not yet run out of them. Unfortunately, so many riggers and dropzones now think that information besides that of the reserve must be present on the card, that I kind of have given up, and just use the preprinted cards available.

I guess I'll design a new card whenever I run out.

My favorite packing card is a hand made one from Kennedy Space Center. I bought a reserve from a man who worked there and he packed it on the same table as the Shuttle booster canopies.
Speaking of futuristic, I really like the usb card that Strong provides along with the paper one. It's a great place to keep digital copies of everything. The one downside is that it's shaped in a way that fits into the reserve card pocket and it's so very tempting to keep it there. But I suspect that after one opening it would look like a saltine you stepped on. There are paper usb cards now, so can flexible digital cards be far off?

I agree with Peek. If I'm going to jump in a swimming pool, I'll remove my wallet first. The hassle seems to outweigh the benefit. It seems odd to me that nobody sells non-tyvek data cards.

Betzilla - The bic was too obvious for me to try. I just did and a Bic "Round Stic" wrote perfectly. The new Zebra F-301 I just purchased was not up to the task.

The Bic Round Stic is commonly found dirt cheap everywhere.

I have a customer that has a Racer and uses their cardstock type card, after the opening and folding of it for the last 10 years at only 1-2 repacks per year the card is basically in 2-3 pieces along its fold seams. We extended the life of it by putting clear tape on one side over the rips but its in desperate need of a replacement. The issue is that the card contains all the work done on the container along its life so we can not just transfer the data to a new tyvek card that easy since all the signatures would need replaced. Tyvek offers the option to sew cards together if you need to carry over data for reserve repacks with the canopy from one rig to the next.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

PhreeZone

I have a customer that has a Racer and uses their cardstock type card, after the opening and folding of it for the last 10 years at only 1-2 repacks per year the card is basically in 2-3 pieces along its fold seams. We extended the life of it by putting clear tape on one side over the rips but its in desperate need of a replacement. The issue is that the card contains all the work done on the container along its life so we can not just transfer the data to a new tyvek card that easy since all the signatures would need replaced. Tyvek offers the option to sew cards together if you need to carry over data for reserve repacks with the canopy from one rig to the next.

Exactly. Paper is fragile, Tyvec is strong and long lasting. Yes, cheap ball point pens have a hard time writing on on it. So what? A decent pen can be had for about $3. So find something real to complain about and get back to packing and sewing!

PhreeZone

The issue is that the card contains all the work done on the container along its life.

Why do you need to know that? Your inspection shows whether the system is airworthy. It doesn't matter who did previous work or when.

-Mark

Here's a comparison pic. Although the Sharpie always works, the Bic performed the best when it did work. In defense of the Zebra 301, there are many 301 models. I picked the F-301 fine point, and it did not do well at all. Apparently other 301's work fine. I did buy the fine point, as recommended.

Pens.jpg

I have a customer that has a Racer and uses their cardstock type card, after the opening and folding of it for the last 10 years at only 1-2 repacks per year the card is basically in 2-3 pieces along its fold seams.

When I set up a new Racer I always throw away the paper card and start them with a new Tyvek one. I agree those paper cards are not good.
=========Shaun ==========