billmorford

AloXs altimeters - Anyone using them? Opinions?

Hi, all.
I'm a former jumper who is trying to get back into the sport, and as such I'm looking for some new gear, primarily gloves, helmet, altimeter, goggles, jumpsuit, etc... so I have my own basic setup that fits me well.
I have a good working Altimaster II on a chest strap mount, but I think I would be more comfortable with a wrist or hand mounted electronic altimeter. I see there is a new one out there, the AloXs from Parasport, that looks interesting as it is fairly compact, has a large display and offers a hand side mount that angles the instrument toward you without turning your wrist substantially. It is also less expensive than some of the more popular electronic models.
My question is: Has anyone had any experience with this product? Any pros or cons? Any feedback regarding it's reliability and accuracy?
I have searched for reviews about the AloXs altimeter but have found very few, not enough to make an informed decision anyway.
Thanks for your attention, and I look forward to hearing about any experiences, opinions or feedback about this product.
Bill

No experience with the AloXs but no one else replied so I thought I would.

L&B and Alti-2 are by far the most popular digitals these days. I've had the same Viso2 since I started jumping in 2010 and it still works great, some people have had issues with batteries but I've only had to change mine about once a year, maybe less. If it broke or I lost it, I would replace it with a another one or a new Viso2+. I also have a Quattro and got a Altitrack as part of a whole gear deal that I use on a mudflap mount for wingsuiting. I'm a fan of L&B all around and so far have had zero issues. I know there are some Alti-2 fans too but for a wrist mount I like the smaller/sleeker size and shape of the Viso.

Also worth mentioning, I've know a few people who use a Suunto altimeter watch, and they all love them; the Core I think is around the same price as the Viso. I use a Sunnto for scuba diving and their products in that market are top notch.

OldGregg

No experience with the AloXs but no one else replied so I thought I would.

L&B and Alti-2 are by far the most popular digitals these days. I've had the same Viso2 since I started jumping in 2010 and it still works great, some people have had issues with batteries but I've only had to change mine about once a year, maybe less. If it broke or I lost it, I would replace it with a another one or a new Viso2+. I also have a Quattro and got a Altitrack as part of a whole gear deal that I use on a mudflap mount for wingsuiting. I'm a fan of L&B all around and so far have had zero issues. I know there are some Alti-2 fans too but for a wrist mount I like the smaller/sleeker size and shape of the Viso.

Also worth mentioning, I've know a few people who use a Suunto altimeter watch, and they all love them; the Core I think is around the same price as the Viso. I use a Sunnto for scuba diving and their products in that market are top notch.

Thanks for the input. I haven't been able to find any real reviews about the AloXs. It looks nice, and I like the side hand mount, but until it's out there for a while, and a proven piece of equipment, I will probably stick with my Altimaster II in my chest and maybe a Galaxy on my hand. Once I'm sure my body and mind are still up to the challenges and stress, and I'm ready to go full speed ahead, I will probably go for a good audible like the Altitrack. I like all the different alarms that can be set on these new units. :)

I like the side hand mount

I agree, the side hand mount is easier to read. That "side" hand mount can be done with an ordinary hand mount by just putting the loop on the index finger only, and rotating the whole thing so it sits between the index finger and thumb.

I will probably go for a good audible like the Altitrack

The altitrack is a visual altimeter.

The Viso is ridiculous because it shows the "tens" unit of feet in freefall, which turns out as just a blur, which is worse than useless. Also, I think the Neptune's digits are much easier to quickly read than the Viso. If you can find a used Neptune II, put the armor case on it, that is the way to go for inexpensive.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He probably meant Protrack, L&Bs naming scheme for their products is not great; and their marketing makes me laugh sometimes (e.g. they have 4 different audibles that just subtlety increase in "features") and I'm not even sure why the ARESII exists, I've never seen one IRL.

The only consistently negative thing I've heard about any of the Neptunes is that they eat batteries, but the folks I know who have them like them a lot. And the display is larger, if you usually wear glasses then that is something to consider.

sundevil777

I like the side hand mount

I agree, the side hand mount is easier to read. That "side" hand mount can be done with an ordinary hand mount by just putting the loop on the index finger only, and rotating the whole thing so it sits between the index finger and thumb.

I will probably go for a good audible like the Altitrack

The altitrack is a visual altimeter.

The Viso is ridiculous because it shows the "tens" unit of feet in freefall, which turns out as just a blur, which is worse than useless. Also, I think the Neptune's digits are much easier to quickly read than the Viso. If you can find a used Neptune II, put the armor case on it, that is the way to go for inexpensive.

I stand corrected. Thanks! I have spent so much time perusing Paragear online that my eyes get buggy and I start confusing items that look alike or have similar names.

(edited)

The Aloxs is quite comfortable and in freefall you can set it to show to the nearest 50m. for e.g. 1.95km... 1.90km...1.85km... etc

It has canopy time as well apart from the logging that other products provide.

It is quite accurate when I compare the data to that from Flysight for my jumps. I would prefer it over the Viso II... I would prefer Ares II but then again for the money you pay (unless doing night jumps requiring backlight), Aloxs is still my preference. Currently looking for it again - as I lost it while setting it up on a commercial flight... and reaffirming the decision when I first went for it...

Edited by GoCi