Bob_Church

a question about old cutaway systems

The DZ owner in Kalamazoo modified the R-2's he had on his student rigs with webbing fronts and a red wooden ball sewn on with Type 2A. Gave students something easier to hold onto. We call it Dennis' Red Ball Express. He used these up into the early 90's when he was still using conventional rigs even after he moved to ram air mains. Thought I had one here some where but can't find it.

Below is a photo of new old stock R-3's with rivets that are going on a conventional rig (either no name or mini system) for one of my PC's. Also a Capewell Field Assembly Kit, new old stock, I got for $50 off ebay. And Capewell flyers for the "Lanyard-Type Parachute Break-Away Canopy Release" and Field Assembly Kit.

I need the specs for the Strong wrap release webbing part. I have a rig with harness link and risers but not the connecting wrap. Not going to jump this rig but would like to have a complete example.

And I'm still trying to find one of the many Chrysalis Northern Lite rigs from the early 80's that we had in the area. Dan T was from here so we had a lot of Northern Lites.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

capewell and R-3.jpg

Capewell Lanyard Type.pdf

Capewell Field Installation Kit.pdf

I never heard of an R-2. But...I have many jumps on a rig with R-3's. Basically just a standard metal Capewell riser hardware holding device which replaced the "two shot" and "shot and a half" release covers.

It was pretty nifty and was used for a quite a while (by all of the "cool jumpers) (such as myself ha ha) before Bill Booth's 3 ring - which replaced the Capewell base hardware entirely. The R-3 was just fine, but it did require your releasing both/each sides. Of course the 3 ring was vastly superior and as soon as it came out the R-3's disappeared quickly. Since the R-3 was built to release from a military style Capewell "base" the 3 ring required a new harness design. The military harnesses went out the window very quickly. Not a bad thing.

dpreguy

I never heard of an R-2. But...I have many jumps on a rig with R-3's. Basically just a standard metal Capewell riser hardware holding device which replaced the "two shot" and "shot and a half" release covers.

It was pretty nifty and was used for a quite a while (by all of the "cool jumpers) (such as myself ha ha) before Bill Booth's 3 ring - which replaced the Capewell base hardware entirely. The R-3 was just fine, but it did require your releasing both/each sides. Of course the 3 ring was vastly superior and as soon as it came out the R-3's disappeared quickly. Since the R-3 was built to release from a military style Capewell "base" the 3 ring required a new harness design. The military harnesses went out the window very quickly. Not a bad thing.

I never had enough money for a new rig so I had R-3s on my Green Star Trak 2 for several years after the far superior three ring came out. I wanted it, but had to wait.