Bob_Church

a question about old cutaway systems

I know there was both r2 and r3 cutaways my Telstar made by bob Boswell had r3’s and a deployment handle on a belly band
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Had my first rig, an old Wonderhog, changed to R-3's from shot and a halfs. Had 2 cutaways with them but the second was a near miss collision where the main collapsed. A line or 2 wrapped around the R-3 and I had to dig a little to get it. Bought a new container with 3 rings.

IanHarrop

I remember when I upgraded to R3s from shot and a halfs. Boy did I feel safe. And R3 looked snazzy compared to R2s ;-)

I'm trying to remember wooden toggles. I think mine were cloth but I might be misremembering. Or could those have been R2s?

Is this the Rodriguez of Spanish Fly fame?

Bob_Church

***I remember when I upgraded to R3s from shot and a halfs. Boy did I feel safe. And R3 looked snazzy compared to R2s ;-)

I'm trying to remember wooden toggles. I think mine were cloth but I might be misremembering. Or could those have been R2s?

No wooden parts on the R2s, they were all velcro and nylon.

That was one on the differences between the R2s and the R3s that had a small piece of clear nylon tube to give you something to pull on. The R2s just had nylon to pull on. I recall the tabs were made from sewn tubular nylon so you had something to grab but the R3s with the tubes were an improvement.

The only wooden toggles I ever had were on round canopy steering lines :)
Edit to add: Some pictures here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43867826@N07/sets/72157622676844920/

You can see the R3s with the clear plastic tube. The R2 pictures are just before the R3s.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

IanHarrop

******I remember when I upgraded to R3s from shot and a halfs. Boy did I feel safe. And R3 looked snazzy compared to R2s ;-)

No wooden parts on the R2s, they were all velcro and nylon.

That was one on the differences between the R2s and the R3s that had a small piece of clear nylon tube to give you something to pull on. The R2s just had nylon to pull on. I recall the tabs were made from sewn tubular nylon so you had something to grab but the R3s with the tubes were an improvement.

The only wooden toggles I ever had were on round canopy steering lines :)
Edit to add: Some pictures here. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43867826@N07/sets/72157622676844920/

You can see the R3s with the clear plastic tube. The R2 pictures are just before the R3s.

Those photos really bring back memories. The description earlier, I think it was a patent application, mentioned wooden toggles but maybe that was planned but not utilized. I don't remember seeing anything like that outside of the steering toggles you mentioned. The wooden toggles were on my paracommander and on the first couple of squares I jumped.

I'd forgotten about frap wraps, but the R2s and R3s were the bees knees.

Couldn't think of a better system than that, then Booth came up with the 3 ring circus and that just killed the others stone dead.

And time has proven the genius of his design.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Edit to add: Some pictures here. https://www.flickr.com/...s/72157622676844920/

Young jumpers probably think the rigs in those photos were old but it's not true. That's how our gear came, straight from the manufacturer, and we liked it that way! It built character unlike these Ken and Barbie rigs today that don't even have enough velcro. We had more fatalities during packing than bounces. But you try to tell young people about how it was and they act like you're talking crazy.

Well..... I come from then, too, and gear is just plain better these days. Old gear wasn't nearly as scary as FNG's think it was, but it's generally better.

I don't miss my risers falling down my shoulders because of poor riser keepers, or keeping my chest strap really tight because the shoulders were both wide and floppy, of having my main container cover come open most jumps, etc. I don't miss the plastic ripcord handle, and while it was convenient to stuff my pilot chute into the hollow made by the laterals, it really wasn't all that secure...

I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P. "

I was just doing my Marty Feldman routine.

Edit: I was trying to find it on youtube, or more accurately one of them. If I remember correctly he had a series of similar skits but the one I remember had him and a couple of other ancient Vets sitting around a table talking about how many times each of them had been killed in the war and the different horrific ways they died then would end with "but you try to tell kids today and will they listen? Nooooo!"

Bob_Church

"I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P. "

Edit: I was trying to find it on youtube, or more accurately one of them. If I remember correctly he had a series of similar skits but the one I remember had him and a couple of other ancient Vets sitting around a table talking about how many times each of them had been killed in the war and the different horrific ways they died then would end with "but you try to tell kids today and will they listen? Nooooo!"

Not Marty Feldman. Monty Python sketch.

Four Yorkshiremen. You'll find it on You Tube.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

***"I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P. "

You can both be right. I believe Marty Feldman has done a version or 2 of the sketch, included along with the Python troupe. My memory says it may have been live performances.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

obelixtim

***"I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P. "

I hadn't seen the Python version, but I saw Feldman do it twice, once on his TV show. Thanks for the link, I'll try a comparison. In Feldman's last version, last that I saw anyway, they were sitting around in a cafe.

sundevil777

******"I would (and have) jumped any of that gear again. But I think my newer rigs are generally better.

Wendy P. "

You can both be right. I believe Marty Feldman has done a version or 2 of the sketch, included along with the Python troupe. My memory says it may have been live performances.

It's a floor wax AND a sleeveless gown.

"I don't miss my risers falling down my shoulders because of poor riser keepers, or keeping my chest strap really tight because the shoulders were both wide and floppy, of having my main container cover come open most jumps, etc. I don't miss the plastic ripcord handle, and while it was convenient to stuff my pilot chute into the hollow made by the laterals, it really wasn't all that secure... "

And feeling like you've been in a car wreck after three jumps because of the harness.

safetyjim

Interesting to see the photos and read the discussion. Much more information than a lot of threads in the forum.

Whoever said that dinosaurs can't type...

Actually what we said was that the T-Rex couldn't wipe its ass with those wimpy arms. This is the real reason they died out. Typing is just a matter of leaning forward far enough.

obelixtim

I'd forgotten about frap wraps, but the R2s and R3s were the bees knees.

Couldn't think of a better system than that, then Booth came up with the 3 ring circus and that just killed the others stone dead.

And time has proven the genius of his design.

I know balloon people from the 1960's that used the 3-ring as a teather release. They use it today! They got it from a WW ll life raft release on the side of the ships. The 3-ring was a wonderful application to skydiving equipment.