Westerly

Viso II Dive Type Selector?

The manual shows you can change the dive mode.

"Explanation
The Dive Type mode can be used to change parameters when the VISO II detects freefall exit and canopy deployment.

0 = ---- (blank, factory default parameters)
1 = SLO (Slow) *
2 = STU (Student) **
* Dive Type, 1: SLO (Slow)
In SLO the exit fall rate and deployment calculation parameters are changed to fit very slow falling types of dives, like wing suit dives, etc.
** Dive Type, 2: STU (Student)
In STU the descent rate parameters are changed to allow detection of short freefalls, (2 sec)"

https://www.lbwebstore.com/skin/frontend/tm_themes/lbwebstore/images/media/manuals/Viso2/VISOII_Manual_040909.pdf

Does anyone know what changing the mode will actually do? Does it detect your opening faster/ slower?

I don't think any help with faster opening detection, but maybe STU does. Basically both slow and STU can give false freefall if the plane descends on jump run or otherwise. Normal sometimes doesn't detect freefall on some hop and pops or falsely detects deployment on some wingsuit jumps. Slow may not detect deployment on some high performance hop and pops and may detect freefall on a go-around.
Brian

I bought one hoping that it might be able to keep track of my wingsuit flying time. Alas, as soon as I get into flight it thinks I have opened. I have it set for SLO. I am very disappointed.

I don’t imagine it’s capable of monitoring deployment/inflation time.

Jon

I have my Viso II set on STU, since I do mostly hop & pops (CRW). My logbook currently outpaces it by about a hunderd jumps, and I notice it sometimes detects a jump from 2000ft because I made a quick spiral to get down...

The logging part is probably reliable enough for FS or FF jumps, but anything else it's accurate enough to use for logging.

On the other hand, it has always given me the proper altitude, and its backlit feature worked a charm on my night jump. Plus I can wear it higher on my arm, reducing snag hazard near my wrist (always an important consideration when doing CRW).