aerorigging

Tandem TSO question

Hi, question??, in a tandem equipment the drogue its part of the TSO, so the main drogue release ripcord as part of that system (1st or 2nd one) are part of the TSO right??

copy of TS135 paragraphs...

MAJOR COMPONENTS:
For purposes of this document a parachute assembly normally, but not exclusively, consists of the following major components:
a. Deployment control device such as a sleeve, bag, diaper, or functional equivalent.
b. Deployment initiation device (pilot chute, drogue, or functional equivalent) and bridle.
c. Canopy(s) including suspension lines, reefing device, and connector links (if used).
d. Riser(s), when not integral with harness and/or canopy.
e. Stowage container(s) or stowage pack(s).
f. Harness (es).
g. Primary actuation device (ripcord or functional equivalent).
h. Reserve static line.
i. Drogue canopy and bridle (if used with reserve and/or emergency parachutes).
j. Drogue release device (if used with reserve and/or emergency parachutes).

DROGUE PARACHUTE ASSEMBLY & RELEASE:
For reserve or emergency parachute assemblies, incorporating a drogue, the drogue release shall be tested at an equivalent force to the drag force generated at the MOW and MPOS.
The human release force shall not be less than 5 lbf (22.2N) and must not exceed 22 lbf (97.9N). The release shall meet the human-factors requirements of 4.3.3.

Thanks
Nico
Nicolas Lopez
Master Rigger
Aerorigging Parachute Loft

I'd say it would. I'm not sure if it's retroactive to older systems. The strong system as an example predates the TSO and just operated under a waver for decades. I'm not sure where it fits in the TSO. It's probable been tested under it and operates under it at this point. Regardless the tandem systems are so integral as a system that trying to substitute generic skydiving parts or build your own just doesn't make sense. Being out of country, I'm guessing that some one is cutting corners or asking you to. I realize that shipping things internationally is a pain but he wants to operate a tandem operation I recommend that you tell him to get serious, pony up and buy the parts he needs. If you're in the far corners of the would then you need to be proactive in stocking parts. It's not worth cutting corners on this. Notice that I'm saying this and I'm some one that is fully capable of building just about any thing.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

aerorigging

The question its about, a home made drogue release ripcord make invalid the TSO as that part its TSOed

The main canopy drogue release is not TSO'd in the sense that there are no performance standards for it, the same as there are no performance standards for the main canopy itself. So using a home-made drogue release would not invalidate the TSO.

It would, however, be stupid.

--Mark

Spare parts from the manufacturer are not that expensive. As to what you mean by the drogue release and which system specifically. Some parts may look simple to fabricate but using the manufacturers parts is always the best route.

Manufacturers may produce an approved list http://www.strongparachutes.com/library/Documentation/Tandem/Approved%20DHT%20Components.pdf or simply state that only manufacturer approved parts are acceptable.

As the TSO which the system was certified may pre-date the latest TSO and the main is not part of it either then it may be legal - however I would agree that it is unwise and you would definitely open yourself up to liability if anything were to happen.

I can think of at least one tandem fatality caused by an incorrect ripcord used.

FAA Master Riggers are allowed to “substitute similar TSOed Components” but questions about compatibility can get complicated.
On the simple end of the scale, the Eclipse TSO-holder (Bill Dause) tells me to substitute Vector II Tandem components after eclipse components wear out.
Similarly, last year I installed a Vector II reserve freebag in a Next Tandem. Substituting Vector II reserve components is easy because Eclipse and Next are close copies of Vector Tandems.
OTOH, Sometimes components from the same manufacturer do not fit in different generations of tandems from the same manufacturer. Last year I learned that Vector freebags are not compatible with Sigmas because Sigma reserve containers are much deeper.
And forget about packing a Dual Hawk Resrve Pilot chute into a newer TNT tandem made by Strong Enterprises!
Hah!
Hah!