HPC

Choosing a New Rig - What's Most Important?

Bluhdow

Always get your hands on the gear you're looking at investing in and trusting your life to.

If you guys forgive the intrusion by a noob who has nothing to add here, but has a noob question: I am wondering why, especially given lives are at stake, people don't just buy the safest canopy?

I understand that all canopies are designed to do the same thing, and I assume that all canopies have to meet minimum safety regulations. However, I also assume there is a reason that students undertaking AFF have "student canopies". If I'm assuming correctly that it's because they're the safest, why would anyone stray from those types of canopies?

They buy different canopies for the same reasons people buy different cars, and not just a small-engined Volvo (or whatever the safest car would be). You might learn in one kind of car, and then choose to drive a Mustang. Because it’s fun for you, and maybe because it suits your image of yourself.
The same applies to canopies. But some people consider the canopy just to be a way to get to the ground, and stay with larger, more docile, canopies. And there’s nothing wrong with that — they’ve prioritized what’s important to them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

DBCOOPER

It seems you can't even figure out what size canopy's fit in containers from information from web sites, and fashion seems to be more important to you than function. Best of luck with your web browsing.

You can on some sites, and that is the point. Website design matters. There should be pictures/tables of all variations of options.

JamesBond

***Always get your hands on the gear you're looking at investing in and trusting your life to.

If you guys forgive the intrusion by a noob who has nothing to add here, but has a noob question: I am wondering why, especially given lives are at stake, people don't just buy the safest canopy?

I understand that all canopies are designed to do the same thing, and I assume that all canopies have to meet minimum safety regulations. However, I also assume there is a reason that students undertaking AFF have "student canopies". If I'm assuming correctly that it's because they're the safest, why would anyone stray from those types of canopies?

Hanging under a 28' 7TU it was very easy to start believing that the only reason to wear a parachute was so you could open it at the end of your skydiving so you'd survive to do another. Then my paracommander opened my eyes to a very different reality, one that's been evolving ever since.

LeeroyJenkins

*** It seems you can't even figure out what size canopy's fit in containers from information from web sites, and fashion seems to be more important to you than function. Best of luck with your web browsing.

You can on some sites, and that is the point. Website design matters. There should be pictures/tables of all variations of options.

The boy internet couldn't do it...
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4882678;#4882678
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

wmw999

But some people consider the canopy just to be a way to get to the ground, and stay with larger, more docile, canopies. And there’s nothing wrong with that — they’ve prioritized what’s important to them.

Perhaps it's the noob in me, but I have a feeling this is going to be me :P I'm generally a risk averse person, but of course I understand this may change as my experience increases, and thus my understanding of the risks. Cheers Wendy!