AlMacDonald

Second Chantz

There is another option.
The last time I repacked a recovery chute for an ultralight (forget which brand, but the cpanopy was sewn by Free Flight Enterprises) I did not have the specific manual. Fortunately, the last repack had been done by FFE.
We took a series of photos while stretching out the canopy. Since the old pack job followed industry best-practices, I just copied the old pack job. The biggest hassle was remembering which corner to rout le the bridle out. Reviewing photos reminded me of the original corner and I was satisfied with my second pack job.

Does this satisfy the requirement of "with access to and in accordance with manufacturer's instructions"? Does Canada have an equivalent of that FAR requirement?
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Canadian rigging regulations are similar to American FARs. The only difference is that Transport Canada delegates responsibility for training and rating Riggers to the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association’s Technical Committee. The practical difference is zero.

Yes, I was dancing on that razor’s edge of legality. First I have attended several of Betty’s PIA seminars on repacking hang glider reserves. Secondly, I have a stack of manuals for other emergency parachutes for hang gliders and ultralights. Thirdly, I have repacked dozens of similar reserves. Finally I copied a factory repack.

On a similar vein, what do you think of me packing Talon 2, Telesis 2 and Aviator PEPs without the manuals?
Hint: I wrote those manual for Rigging Innovations after packing prototypes dozens of times.

I wasn't implying anything about your ability, just the legal ability of someone to get you if you happen to be unlucky and they're determined. I do understand that manuals are written by people who packed a new product without a manual :)
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I don't think the CSPA attempts to have any jurisdiction over other than civilian personnel parachutes.

So if I as a Canadian rigger chose to pack an ultralight recovery parachute, BASE rig, paraglider emergency parachute, rocket recovery chute, aircraft spin chute, or anything similar, I don't think the CSPA can say anything about it, whether I do a good job or a deliberately poor job (with or without a manual).

The FAA in the US wouldn't try to control riggers actions relating to such non-TSO items either?

(Things are likely different for recovery parachutes on certified aircraft, where aircraft related regulations will apply and if it says only the factory can repack the canopy, that's likely the way it has to be. Even leaving aside specialized requirements like pressure packing and rocket motor overhaul.)

At least that's all the way it appears to me.

FAA and CSPA only care if there is an accident or written complaint about quality of workmanship on type-certified parachutes.
Hang-glider reserves, drag-chutes for hot-rods, etc. are rarely certified.
While working for Butler, I helped test-fire a spin-recovery chute. Designers had to demonstrate spin characteristics before the FAA would certify their new airplane. Butler insisted that all repacks, explosive cartridge replacements, etc. be done at his factory in California City. Returning chutes for maintenance was easy because Cal. City is mere minutes away from Palmdale, Mojave, USAFB Edwards and barely an hour from USN China Lake.

That's a fair point. Paragliders have that amusing thing where you can get a reserve packing video which pretty much says "considering getting a, y'know, qualified rigger to do this for you, but if you really insist, here's a video on how to pack the reserve you just bought".