WamBam

Why are reserve lines untreated?

Untreated lines are less prone for tension knots. At least that's the idea.
And not all reserves have untreated lines. In fact, only PD is using them.

In my 20 years of rigging, the only tension knot I've seen on a reserve, was on untreated lines.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I think there is a little more to the history then that.

Coatings on lines have been hit or miss over the years. Think back to when things were TSO'd. We had nylon lines then Dacron. I think Kevlar was the first "high tec" line we had. Didn't last long enough for mains but they were trying to use it on reserves. I believe it was kevlar that they had trouble with. Was it the early ravens? The coating would stick together if it got wet. Lines would come out in a clump. I seen to recall that they had some trouble on some braided nylon line as well? Been a long time since I thought about this. So what did you see in the next round of reserves? Untreated lines. Didn't the swift+ have untreated lines? And PD reserves. They came out around then. And Strong reserves. All of these things came out in about the same time frame and it was fashionable at the time to use uncoated line. Re testing is a bitch so they've stuck with it. I've also had them argue that there are advantages to it or at least potential down sides to coatings. Questions of consistency. Coating prevent fibers from sliding and might reduce ultimant strength. If you ask them they will give you an answer but I think the truth has more to do with what was going on in the industry at the time when these first designs were developed.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com