ArturLeao

New communication system for skydivers - feasibility?

Hello guys. I am a signal processing engineer specialized in active noise control, and I'm also a skydiver.

For some time I've been thinking about manufacturing (with a selling purpose) a speech communication system specifically
designed for skydivers. This system would allow a clear speech communication in free fall, canopy piloting as well as in wind tunnel trainings.
The system would also contain an audible altimeter integrated with the speakers and the whole device would be designed
to have a good fit in general skydiving helmets with no hard edges that could restraint the canopy lines.

So it would be really important to me if you guys could answer a few questions as a part of an initial feasibility study. The questions are:

1) What do you think about the project idea? Do you have some tips or critiques regarding the general design and functionality of the device?

2) Have you ever used any communication systems with the same purpose or know someone who has? Which system was it? Did you think it helped you in your trainings?
Was there any problems related to the device (price, fit, safety issues, lack of a place for audible altimeters, etc)?

Thank you very much.

Artur Zorzo.
Signal processing engineer
Lisbon, Portugal
[email protected]

>What do you think about the project idea?

I think it's a fantastic idea!! Go for it! It will be great training aid.

There is a saying in fixed-wing aviation flight training that goes like this: "An airplane makes a lousy classroom". Which is true. Airplanes are noisy, cramped, sometimes too cold or too hot, and the student is experiencing a lot of anxiety. As true as that saying is for flight training my response when I hear it is: "Try Freefall". At least with your device we wouldn't be limited to hand signals.

Hi Artur,

That's an interesting idea, but as LeeroyJenkins said people in CRW already use bluetooth headsets. However, for freefall and windtunnel, better noise cancellation would probably be neccessary and you seem to have the resume for that!

We at AON2 will be watching your project with interest :)

LeeroyJenkins

The only issue I see with this is that there is already a standard communication and it’s Bluetooth headsets. Wingsuiters and CRW dogs use them and they work fantastic. That’s your competition.

My personal experience (though not extensive) is the opposite. When I've tried them they were prone to disconnects, were hard to pair even right next to each other on the plane, etc. Two different sets of gear, but again my experience was probably about 5-10 jumps with them.

I use Sena SMH10R motorcycle blue tooth radios for 2 way CRW. I like it because the control unit is very small and can attach to the back of the helmet greatly reducing snag potential.

I think radios are great for two way training.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Even though the sounds they are dealing with are a different range and frequency, you may also find it interesting to explore what paramotor pilots use to communicate.

They use quite a range of devices, and experience lots of problems, though seem to be moving to bluetoth more nowadays.