Jeff5050

Icon hesitation loop on skyhook rigs

I recently noticed that the updated online manuals for either the nexgen or pre-nexgen model changed where on the reserve bridal they want you to make the fold bite that goes through the hesitation loop on the first flap. They use to call for it up the bridal line close to the green loop that sets the skyhook in place. Now they want the bite as the first step before V folding a few times and closing the first flap. Anyone know the reason for this change?

Short answer: No idea why the change.

Long answer:

It gets annoying these days keeping up with manufacturers, as they can pump out PDF's to the web every day with changes, without announcing change logs....

Anyway, it was for many years curious how the Icon with Skyhook used to reverse the order of the bridle V folding and the hesitator bight, compared to the Vector with Skyhook.

But in the May 2017 manual (or similar), they seem to have gone back to the way UPT does it:

After the bag is in place, do the bight through the hesitator (staging) loop, THEN do the V folds of bridle.

However, there's still a minor difference in the bight made:

Vector fold in half, insert 1"
Icon fold in thirds, insert 1/2"

pchapman

However, there's still a minor difference in the bight made:

Vector fold in half, insert 1"
Icon fold in thirds, insert 1/2"

Sigmas Fold in quarter, insert 1" (That's new to me, I thought it was still listed as half in the manual. However I've been using thirds for a few years after getting tips from a UPT rep at a PIA symposium)

However I've been using thirds for a few years after getting tips from a UPT rep at a PIA symposium.

Manufacturers are notorious on giving select riggers 'tips' on methods outside the manual. This manufacturer in specific.
=========Shaun ==========

Unstable

However I've been using thirds for a few years after getting tips from a UPT rep at a PIA symposium.

Manufacturers are notorious on giving select riggers 'tips' on methods outside the manual. This manufacturer in specific.

Folding in thirds seemed to make the mass stay more solid while pushing it through the hesitation loop, making it easier when I get one of those not-very-stretchy loops.

When I questioned UPT about lack of staging loop supplied on a brand new rig. (they specifically did not like it being called a hesitator loop). They sent a reply that it was only recommended on tandem and larger canopy containers and hence thats why it was included.

For UPT, aerodyne - the use of this elastic loop is optional. ( https://www.flyaerodyne.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/IconManual052017_online.pdf ) Page 25.

It shows the staging loop is "optional" in the nexgen manual yes, But in the pre-nexgen manual, it doesn't say its optional. Just instructions on packing with the staging loop. Also in the Nexgen manual it calls for the staging loop to pass through both grommets in the floor plate, and in the pre-nexgen they call for the staging loop to only pass through one of the grommets in the floor plate. Confusing instructions there Icon.