exit15

UPT sizing chart

Hi,
anyone jumping a v308 or a v320? What reserve do you use?
Just wondering about the sizing chart. If the pdr126 is standard fitting why is the op143 full fitting? I thought they are packing the same size? In other examples the optimum is always listed as the same fitting like the smaller pdr.

please help
thanks

Both you guys. Wait till Monday. Call UPT and ask. They have people there who have actually tried all these common combinations. They did not just estimate when they made those charts. They really packed each of the canopies as listed to test them. OPTs pack approximately one size smaller, not exactly. They are VERY helpful there. They will not laugh at you, or belittle you because you are new. They will give the best advice available and if you ask for a little detail on why certain canopies are listed the way they are they will tell you.

gowlerk

Both you guys. Wait till Monday. Call UPT and ask. They have people there who have actually tried all these common combinations. They did not just estimate when they made those charts. They really packed each of the canopies as listed to test them. OPTs pack approximately one size smaller, not exactly. They are VERY helpful there. They will not laugh at you, or belittle you because you are new. They will give the best advice available and if you ask for a little detail on why certain canopies are listed the way they are they will tell you.

Personally, I have...and I agree, they're great and very helpful. Miles ahead of other manufacturers I had to deal with. Nevertheless, I heard many conflicting opinions and hence the question. My rigger reckons he won't have an issue sticking an OP143 in a V308, others reckon it will fit but will be a brick. UPT themselves recommend coming up to Deland and asking around as much as possible to get a better idea.

For me it's either the V308, 320, or 340. Issue being that I would like a larger reserve due to spending half of my time in a wingsuit. But, at only 5'8" and 150lbs the 340 might be slightly too long.

An OP 143 does not quite pack up as small as a PDR 126. As you get down into smaller sizes, the proportion of that sexy low-bulk fabric, to lines and reinforcement tape, gets smaller and smaller, so the "one size smaller" rule becomes a little less true. 126/143 is where you begin to notice the difference.

I've packed lots of 308s with PR 126's, and a couple 308's with OP 143's, and the OP 143's are a total pain in the ass to close. It's doable, but you've gotta use everything in your bag of tricks to make it happen, and you'll really want a cigarette afterwards (this coming from a non-smoker).

I want to add something too, but there is variability in pack volume even within a design. In the PIA pack volume chart which is based on actual measurements, you can see multiple tests performed on the same canopy at different times yields not insignificant differences! I have talked to 2 manufacturers about this and both have attributed it (independently,I might add) to variability between die lots of material.

I always emphasize that using a low-pack volume reserve to try to get 1 size larger when you are really pushing the limits of your container/reserve combination, is just not a good idea.
=========Shaun ==========

Lots of good info, thank you very much guys.

Anyone has any experience packing a Speed 135 or 150 in a V308? I have read the UPT sizing chart, but I'm dubious. According to the PIA volume chart a Speed 135 packs like an OP126, which is supposed to be a loose fit in a V308.

Edited to add: by Speed 135/150 I mean Speed 2000 135/150.

Ste87

Lots of good info, thank you very much guys.

Anyone has any experience packing a Speed 135 or 150 in a V308? I have read the UPT sizing chart, but I'm dubious. According to the PIA volume chart a Speed 135 packs like an OP126, which is supposed to be a loose fit in a V308.

Edited to add: by Speed 135/150 I mean Speed 2000 135/150.

I got a speed 2000 120 in a v306 and it's just the perfect size (bit soft), 135 in a v308 is most likely quite loose, 150 would be a better fit most likely...

I made a graph, but I'm not sure it would help. I used a PIA document (link below) as well as the PD Reserve manuals reported volume, and came up with some interesting numbers.

PIA Document: http://www.rigginginnovations.com/files/Docuemnts/Other/PIA%20Canopy%20Volume.pdf
PD Reserve Manual: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve_manual.pdf

The variances with the PIA chart are pretty wide, and its covered in this document here (at the bottom): http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/packvol.pdf

pdrpdocomparisonvolume.png

Clicky

PIA Document: http://www.rigginginnovations.com/files/Docuemnts/Other/PIA%20Canopy%20Volume.pdf
PD Reserve Manual: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve_manual.pdf
Variances: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/packvol.pdf

The PIA volume for Optimum 99 is nonsense. It can't pack bigger than an Optimum 193. Which makes you question the accuracy of the other stated volumes....

First rig setup had a V308 with a OP 143 reserve and Pulse 150 as my initial setup. Barely could even offer $10 to pay a packer to pack my pulse 150 into it.....

Not comfortable setup, felt very brick like, and not recommended however it did fit.

If you do choose to go for OP 143 in V308, which is tight but doable, do get a 120 sized canopy for better all around comfort and not to mention ease of packing.
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

First rig setup had a V308 with a OP 143 reserve and Pulse 150 as my initial setup. Barely could even offer $10 to pay a packer to pack my pulse 150 into it.....

Common story on both mains and reserves. People think they can get '1 size larger' with a LPV reserve, which mostly the data does not support, and wind up on the way upper end of pack volume comparability. There is so much wisdom in 1 size larger container and keeping pack volumes in the middle of the recommended ranges. Its better for the gear, in some containers it eliminates excessive bag extraction forces, and it makes the rig more comfortable and easier to pack and keep in the air.
=========Shaun ==========

Fair enough! Asking around, it seems like the OP143 fits, some batches better than others, but then it would be a tough to pack a main like a 135 for when you wingsuit.

It looks like the Speed 150 somehow fits the tray better. Might have something to do with the fact that, due to the different way of measuring the canopy area, the OP143 is more than 143 and the Speed 150 a bit less than 150.

Ste87

It looks like the Speed 150 somehow fits the tray better. Might have something to do with the fact that, due to the different way of measuring the canopy area, the OP143 is more than 143 and the Speed 150 a bit less than 150.

Or because the Speed uses a different, thinner, fabric, so therefore packs smaller?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Or because the Speed uses a different, thinner, fabric, so therefore packs smaller?

You're probably right. I haven't seen one yet. Just going with what my rigger reckons.

Do you have any experience with it? Perhaps of a 150 in a V308?

Ste87

You're probably right. I haven't seen one yet. Just going with what my rigger reckons.

I have a 308. At those sizes you really need to step up to a larger container. Stop trying to cram the biggest shit in the smallest container you think will fit.

hillson

I have a 308. At those sizes you really need to step up to a larger container. Stop trying to cram the biggest shit in the smallest container you think will fit.

How's your OP126 fit then? Should be loose according to the chart...

Ste87

Fits fine. Not loose by any stretch of the imagination.

Ste87

Just packed OP143 in V308 yesterday and it was a fairly full fit...

Ste87

Not in Vectors. I've had a Speed 120 pack a little looser than where I had an Op113 pack on the slightly tighter side of good (in an SWS Fire size 00), and I've got a Speed 135 that packs a little looser than where I had an Op126 (in an SWS Fire size 11).
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).