20_kN

Semi-Stowless Bags? Mirage?

While the bag wars are on, could anyone identify the maker of this semi-stowless bag. It has 4 locking, 2 tuck and 2 magnet closures. It works fine in my Wings and Racer rigs with 160-175 sf canopies. Just curious what original container it was for. Thanks, Tom

D-bag closed.jpg

D-bag open.jpg

When I started jumping, 53 years ago, one of the first things that struck me was how primitive and simplistic stowing lines in rubber bands seemed to be. There just had to be a more modern, technologically better way to do it. I tried everything, but kept coming back to the good old rubber band. It seems that, as usual, the simplest way turned out to be the best way.

The "modern" semi-stowless bag is just a re-hash of the original Para-Flite reserve bag, except that we use tuck tabs or magnets instead of Velcro to stow most of the lines in a pouch. But the good old rubber band remains the best way to lock the bag shut. To quote the Bible: "As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be...Magnets make for great riser covers, but in this particular game of rock-paper-scissors, it's obvious that rubber bands trounce magnets. Trying to reinvent the wheel is not always a good idea.

Hi Bill,

I use your original semi-stowless bags with the four tuck tabs and love them. I was looking at your latest version, with the sides sewn shut and think the original version is easier and faster. Were the changes merely a cost cutting measure? Saving material and time to make?
Thanks,
Fred

tommymc

While the bag wars are on, could anyone identify the maker of this semi-stowless bag. It has 4 locking, 2 tuck and 2 magnet closures. It works fine in my Wings and Racer rigs with 160-175 sf canopies. Just curious what original container it was for. Thanks, Tom

Looks like the old version from Aerodyne

https://www.flyaerodyne.com/service-bulletin-sb121817/

Lyosha, thanks for the ID on that. Yes, when I look at the details it's surly Aerodyne. Inside the bag is a yellow stamp "5ATP", maybe for an Icon I5. Their new bag is now sewed down on three sides just as UPT has done with theirs. But Aerodyne still employs pocket tucked magnets on the pouch opening. So it would seem that misrouting lines around the magnet tabs would result in bag lock, as before. Another interesting feature on the new one is a final rubber band stow in the middle of the bag before lines go to the risers. Could this be a reminder to the packer that all loose lines go into and come out of the center notch between the magnets?