blueskies85

PD Horizon only for wingsuit jumps?

Hey all,

Is the Horizon from PD strictly for wingsuit jumps or can it be used for any and all disciplines? I mainly do tracking jumps but also fun jumps. I like the idea of a low bulk main and the Horizon seems to fit the bill. Will it be good for non wingsuit canopy rides? I want a canopy that will open, deploy on heading and be ok to fly. I don’t want much performance or swoops. Low pack volumes are more beneficial to me.

Thanks

Blueskies

LeeroyJenkins

Yeah, it will work. It is just a docile canopy.

It would seem that's not the case. Among other caveats from the FAQ: "For this reason, we recommend that you have at least 50 jumps on a canopy (landing accurately and comfortably on your feet) that is approximately two (2) sizes SMALLER than the Horizon you plan to use for wingsuiting."

Also: "Performance Designs recommends utilizing the Horizon for the purpose that it was designed and developed for. This will help ensure that you get the best performance and longevity out of your Horizon while using it for wingsuiting."

So, probably not a good choice for non-wing suiting given the OPs status as non-wingsuiter. PD does have the Silhouette, which is a lower pack volume main apprpriaate for general jumping and beginners (at the appropriate wing loading).

For low bulk regular jumping, there's Aerodyne Pilot in ZPX (about a size smaller) and UltraLPV (maybe 2 sizes smaller, not sure). The same for the Pilot 7 (which is good for wing suiting, but Aerodyne says its also good for regular jumping).

I've seen a few ZPXs around, but not the UltraLPV.

blueskies85

Hey all,

Is the Horizon from PD strictly for wingsuit jumps or can it be used for any and all disciplines? I mainly do tracking jumps but also fun jumps. I like the idea of a low bulk main and the Horizon seems to fit the bill. Will it be good for non wingsuit canopy rides? I want a canopy that will open, deploy on heading and be ok to fly. I don’t want much performance or swoops. Low pack volumes are more beneficial to me.

Thanks

Blueskies

If you read this http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Horizon_Flight_Characteristics.pdf, and more specific what they say about landings; you will understand that it is not an easy canopy to land. You can make good landings with the canopy, if you master that art.

So, I think that the PD Pulse (the successor of the silhouette) is a better choice for you.

blueskies85

Hey all,

Thanks

Blueskies

Save some cash, get a Storm! I fly WS mostly but sprinkle in some other jumps... Great over all canopy.

If you read this http://www.performancedesigns.com/..._Characteristics.pdf, and more specific what they say about landings; you will understand that it is not an easy canopy to land. You can make good landings with the canopy, if you master that art.

I have read this several times and while I understand it completely, the concept and principles appear to be a design heritage of a 7-cell, low permeability canopy tuned for better openings. Here are some blurbs from the link you posted.
----------------------------------------------------------

The Horizon is a 7-cell rectangular canopy available in sizes 120-190 with roots
coming from our Optimum Reserve.

So a 7-cell low Perm canopy.

This canopy has a shorter snivel than
other canopies in our line such as the Sabre2 or the Spectre.

So a 7-cell low perm canopy tuned for slightly better openings.

The Horizon will not glide as far as some of our flatter trimmed wings, such as the
Pulse, but may out glide some canopies designed to have a longer recovery arc.

So a 7-cell low perm canopy.

Keep in mind that if you are accustomed to smaller 9-cell
mains, the Horizon may require considerably more control deflection to achieve a
quick snappy response.

The Horizon has a fairly long control range with excellent slow flight characteristics.

Although the Horizon has proven to have good landing performance both on
straight-in approaches as well as high performance approaches, these great
landings are not automatic. You must have the skill and technique that is appropriate
for the size of the Horizon wing that you have selected. Any small canopy will have a
high descent rate on final, so flaring must be timed well.

This is how a 7-cell, low perm canopy flies. OK so we are still describing 7-cell low perm canopy. Got it.

Low Perm material packs smaller, especially if utilizing material similar to the Optimum.

I can't help but read this and feel this is just a slightly modified 7-cell low perm canopy, old technology repackaged and tuned a bit more for today's pilots. Isn't this just 1 step removed from taking a PD 7-Cell (Hey, remember those!) of FC 7-cell, adding a domed slider or nose baffles for better openings and calling it good?

Sorry for the long post - if my thought process is off please challenge!:)
=========Shaun ==========

If you're a student pretty much any canopy that is OK for you at this stage will be fine for wingsuiting.

This latest development of low-bulk canopies is marketed at people who downsized then got too stressed doing wingsuiting with the small canopies they were using and don't want to upsize their container to go back to a bigger more docile canopy.

I do mainly wingsuit and tracking, and use a Sabre 2 for everything, loaded around 1.0. No issues but I won't be winning any canopy piloting comps.